Mail is being stupid; won't close or quit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Khryz, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

The past couple of days I'll have Mail open but when I try and X out of it nothing happens. When I try and quit Mail nothing happens. Is there a way for me to force quit it?

Has this been happening to anyone else? It's getting annoying.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The most common cause of this is a dialog from Mail located off-screen, or on a second display. You can use Expose to find the offending dialog and dismiss it.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help but there is nothing else associated with Mail on screen. Anyway, when I got the e-mail notification for this thread I was able to close Mail but I'm still not able to quit it. Weird.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You can force quit an application by right (or ctrl) clicking on it's icon in the dock. The menu that pops up has the force quit command.

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not for me. For Mail it just has Quit at the bottom.

Found out about the APPLE+OPTION+ESC command to Force Quit any open applications.

6. joeconvert macrumors 6502

Using IMAP? I have had this issue quite often. I too have found no offending off screen prompt. Based upon this and other behaviors I think Mail has some issues with IMAP.

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, for my AOL e-mail address.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yeah this has been happening for me and Ive attributed it to using macfreepops. not sure if that is it but its pretty annoying.

9. marctampa macrumors newbie

Is it Lion related

I didn't start having this problem until I updated to Lion. By the way, the accounts I use are also IMAP.