Mail is downloading all attachments everytime I look at an e-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loungemonkey, May 9, 2007.

1. loungemonkey macrumors member

I have checked the Preferences but I can't seem to find how to turn this off (this is on a co-workers Mail).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not quite sure what you mean buddy. Maybe elaborate a little more. :eek:

3. loungemonkey thread starter macrumors member

Ok just asked my co-worker to clarify what she meant and she said that whenever she double clicks on an attachment to view from her inbox...it automatically saves a copy to her desktop.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's normal. You can opt to save it somewhere else if you like (in the Mail preferences), but a copy will get saved. People get confused because this doesn't appear to happen in Outlook (Express) but what's happening there is that the files are being downloaded to a temporary folder that gets cleared out every now and then. Sometimes I find recent switchers like to make a folder stashed away somewhere that they tell Mail to download their files too. Then, empty out the contents of this folder once a month or so and you've got yourself a temporary folder. :)

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Actually, at least for me, Mail puts attachments in ~/Library/Mail Downloads/. Not as any sort of temp files or folders. If I click on the attachment in the header of the message, it opens in the default app for the file type. If I double click the attachment as displayed within the message body, it does the same. Never puts a copy of the file on my desktop unless I tell it to Save. Maybe it has to do with the type of mail server (POP, IMAP, etc.) or a preference somewhere?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that is the default location but I changed mine immediately to the Desktop and I reckon a few people may do the same. I'm just guessing someone did it to loungemonkey's co-worker.

7. loungemonkey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys...got it fixed.

Much appreciated!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. loungemonkey thread starter macrumors member

I just changed it to the Library/Mail Downloads folder. She will never know where they automatically save too but that is fine ;)