Mail is giving me a headache...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fuzzy Orange, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I am currently trying to create an email address for me and transfer over my mother's email address. We are using Cox, so I am trying to create them using that... I enter everything correctly-The POP server, the STMP server... but it still goes to hell whenever I try to get email. It says for me to enter the password because it was rejected. I enter the password, and the POP server rejects it again. I am sure the password is right... But I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Something that does confuse me is that at the Apple Store, I created a POP account using the same POP server (pop.west.cox.net) and STMP server. Everything worked perfectly at the Apple Store, but not at my house... What am I doing wrong?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm, that would lead me to believe that the issue you're having is indeed related to your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

In Mail> Preferences> Accounts> (select the proper account on the left hand side) and go down to the bottom and click the button that says, "Server Settings..." What server port are you using? You'll likely contact either your ISP or double-check w/ Cox to see what port they'll allow.

For me? I've found that gmail and even .mac with my ISP can work relatively well with Server port 587.

Hope that helps. :eek:

3. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

They gave me Server Port 25. Can anyone with Cox confirm that tis is okay?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Port 25 is for OUTGOING mail (i.e. the SMTP server), not for incoming mail (the POP server). If you cannot receive mail, the error is with the POP server, not the SMTP server. Make sure you are entering the right username (I think it's your COX username without the @.... part) and password.

5. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Huh... I guess I have to get my mom's Cox username and password then... What if you are creating a new account? Do I have to set it up on Cox's website first, or can I make it exclusively through Mail?

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mail.app is just an application. Any mail that passes through it must exist in its own right elsewhere. As in, an existing account via gmail, or dotmac, or Cox. So if you wanted your own email account/ address, you'd have to set that up elsewhere, and then essentially have it forwarded through to mail.app.

Does that make any sense at all? :eek:

7. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange