Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
So, I have ip4 and mbp. I have the same email accounts on both devices. (mail app on mbp)

My Yahoo Mail account is giving me an issue: When I read emails on ip4 in yahoo's account, it marks them as read on the phone. (naturally)

BUT - it does NOT mark them as read in mail app on mbp.

This is extremely frustrating because I get hundreds of emails a day and when I leave 1 or 2 unread for something important, it is impossible to find in the mess of unread emails.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Has anyone come across this or seen any solutions? Ive been looking everywhere and I cant figure it out.

i will never get to inbox0 and keep productive on that front if this doesnt get solved.

help!

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
How is it set up, POP or IMAP?

To be completely honest, I am not sure. On all devices they were automatically set up once I chose the service

I have:

3 gmail accounts
1 Yahoo
1 Mobile me

All set up on mac (mail.app, which ahs the issue), ipad and iphone

Yahoo seems to be the major culprit here in terms of not adjusting "read" statuses across all devices.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
To be completely honest, I am not sure. On all devices they were automatically set up once I chose the service

I have:

3 gmail accounts
1 Yahoo
1 Mobile me

All set up on mac (mail.app, which ahs the issue), ipad and iphone

Yahoo seems to be the major culprit here in terms of not adjusting "read" statuses across all devices.

Gmail and MobileMe are both IMAP, so all messages are held on the server so reading on one device marks it as read across all devices.

I'm inclined to think that yahoo is POP, so messages are downloaded and stored locally, thus reading on one device doesn't change the status on other devices.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Gmail and MobileMe are both IMAP, so all messages are held on the server so reading on one device marks it as read across all devices.

I'm inclined to think that yahoo is POP, so messages are downloaded and stored locally, thus reading on one device doesn't change the status on other devices.

Is that something that can be changed on client side or is it a set server type?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.