Mail issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarioD, Jan 20, 2016.

1. MarioD macrumors newbie

i have an iPhone 6 running on 9.2.1. Since the update my mail keeps on downloading old mails. As soon as I delete them it starts over and downloads all the mails on my server. I cannot delete the mails off my server as I use a MacBook, iPad and my phone to pick up mails.

Any ideas what the issue could be or should I first try the. New update and see from there?

Thanks in advance.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I am going to guess that your email account is set up as POP on your iPhone (as opposed to IMAP)?

3. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. It has always been a pop email and I haven't had issues before. What do you suggest.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Not everyone, but some, with POP accounts in Mac Mail have been having this problem. Something is amiss between the server and Mac Mail as to the server thinking that Mail hasn't downloaded the message(s).

I suggest you do a proper backup of your email and then change the configuration of your account to your email provider's IMAP settings (delete the current account and re-add as IMAP) if they provide IMAP.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I haven't used POP in a looong time, but I seem to remember a setting in the POP account that you can tell the server what and when to do with deleted emails. Maybe that setting got inadvertently changed by the upgrade. At any rate, it would be worth checking.

6. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I will look into the IMAP option.
    @ James, where would I find those server settings on my phone?

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

In the mail account settings.

8. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll go c
    I'll go check again, probably will reload the mail etc and see what happens. I will let you know what happens.