Mail: Junk emails becoming lost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aygwm, Jul 28, 2008.

1. aygwm macrumors member

I have two Macs with Junk mail issues. Specifically, some junk emails arrive in my junk email folder on Mac machine #1, but not machine #2. In fact, it doesn't arrive on machine #2 at all. This is annoying, as sometimes I need to reset a password (like I did before writing this post at MacRumors), but the email with the new password never arrives at the machine I'm working on. It's almost as one machine grabs it before the other has a chance to. This problem also exist in reverse order, meaning, sometimes machine #2 get the email, but not #1. Any ideas?

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

is this happening with any email message or just those classed as Junk?

What provider is you email with?

3. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

4. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

junk email

Sorry. This only happens with Junk email.

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

OK, well since dotmac, or mobileme as it'll now be called uses the IMAP protocol to keep the mail in sync everywhere then there seems to be action taking place in one place that affects the results appearing in another place. Do both the macs use the junk mail feature in the mail app?

As far as I know Mobile Me should have some Junk feature of its own.

6. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

junk

This is an ongoing problem for about 2 years. The move to MobileMe hasn't helped. And yes, junk filter running on both.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It sounds like both Macs have different levels of training for dealing with Junk mail, might be an idea to switch both systems into training mode. This way they will highlight the messages they see as Junk but not take any action against them.

If you can get both of them to the same level this shouldn't cause those problems, however personally when it comes to multiple mail clients I prefer to ensure that the main server (mobile me online service) deals with Junk mail first thus avoiding the need for the Junk processing to take place twice on what is the same mailbox.