Mail Just Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lordillingworth, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Hello, today i found that Mail has stopped working for no obvious reason.

It wont send or receive emails, but when i check by signing into .mac itself, the messages have arrived and everything appears normal.

Mail won't quit either... then every so often a box with the following text appears:
    'Some actions taken while the account 'enter.mac address here' was offline could not be completed online.

Mail has undone actions on some messages so that you can redo the actions while online. Mail has saved other messages in mailbox "on my mac" in "on my mac" so that you can complete the actions while online.

Additional information: The connection to the server "mail.mac.com" on port 143 timed out.

then there is just an ok button.

i have tried changing the port number as suggested in this support topic... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6383633

but it is just the same thing over and over.

please can somebody give me a hand? thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Delete or move ~/Libary/Mail and the same for ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist.

You might want to give Mail a complete rebuild first.

3. Lordillingworth thread starter macrumors regular

brilliant, thanks for that, i have spent hours trying to sort it out! i even signed out of .mac on my entire computer!

thank you very much for your help

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sound like it worked. :D

I guess my countless hours of Tiger Mail.app of headaches have paid off. Under Leopard Mail hasn't crapped out on me yet.

5. noall666 macrumors newbie

just a little concerned before I go and delete all this stuff in the mail folder. I tried just the preferences and that did NOT work. I dont think its a good idea to delete the entire mail folder if you have alot of messages you want to save like me?????
    Also. I am having trouble with the idisk coming up on the finder as well as from the idisk utility.....I may think they are related..... anyone have any other ideas????
    or do i need to get to a mac genius.(not)....