Mail keeps crashing on startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sanzu3, Sep 10, 2007.

1. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

OKay, so I had my macbook at work today plugged into the network there. Mail and Safari seemed a bit slow but I put that down to the network.

At the end of the day I tried to shutdown my macbook but it refused, in the end I had to hold down the power button till it did.

Now I'm at home and everything is fine except Mail, everytime I open it it crashes as it tries to do a send and receive. I've repair permissions, run mac janitor and Maintaince - but no joy.

Short of re-installing is their anything I can to do to repair Mail ?????

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Go to the Mailbox menu in preferences and rebuild your mailboxes - all of them, unless you know which one it's freezing on.

That might work.

3. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

I took a slightly more nuclear option: I deleted the Mail folder in Library (after making a copy) then opened up Mail. It immediately synced with .Mac and rebuild all the folders etc - now working fine.

Personally I think the "sync" thing is the best part of .Mac

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Ah, I was under the assumption that not all the mail sat on a server! I didn't think you could just delete your Mail folder and pull down your stuff again...

Knowing that the mail was still on .Mac, you certainly took the most aggressive, cleanest solution to your problem ;)

5. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

It was very smooth the way Mail sorted itself out once i deleted the folder - but I have no idea what went wrong. Maybe my Macbook is sulking because its replacement MBP is on its way to me as we speak :)

6. xSOTYx macrumors member

Ive had this problem for a few days. I did the same and just deleted the mail folder and then its re-synced all my mail and now Ive got no problems! Wonder why this happens?!

7. kalantan macrumors newbie

How long did it take Mail to pull everything down after you deleted the Mail folder from the Library folder? I launched Mail (even deleted the Prefs file) and the icon indicates it's launched and the menu bar is there, but no windows...