Mail Layout in iOS 10 is Hard to Understand

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by ghsNick, Sep 14, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Hey Everyone -

The layout of the new mail threads has become ridiculously confusing. In work email chains it used to group all the messages within the same thread in the same group and the newest email was always on top.

Now there's multiple emails chains within the email I click on. The newest email seems to be at the bottom. The original email is always quoted (instead of the last message) and I'm really pissed Apple messed up such a simple tool.

Can anyone give me the best settings to get my email working the same (or close) to how it was before?

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I agree it's a bit of a mess. Almost like a web email app.

I will check settings to see if there is a setting for grouping message perhaps or something related to mail handling.

3. JasonHB macrumors regular

Settings, Mail and then Threading. You can change it all there including having the newest messages on top and you also turn it off if you don't want it.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried the thread related options you've brought up before to see what effect those have on this?

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have. I mostly have it back but they removed something.

When I hit the most recent email (without hitting the down arrow to display every mail message in the thread) it shows a huge thread of emails with the original message quoted in each one.

When I turn off thread it gets rid of grouping everything together (which I liked) and all the emails are scattered throughout mail.

If I hit the down arrow and hit the recent email it displays how I want it to display.

I'm not a fan of hitting the most recent message (without hitting the arrow) and having a bunch of different responses with the original email quoted in each one.

Pretty messy if you ask me.

6. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Settings - Mail - Threading -> activate newest Email on top.

7. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I'm with you. Its way sloppy. When replying and viewing a long thread it can get confusing. The individual emails get longer with all the replies and its hard to see where the next individual email is.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I agree it's a bit confusing. When using the Reply button at the bottom, sometimes I end up replying to the wrong email. It's going to take some getting used to.