Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Original poster
<RANT>
Don't try this at home, boys and girls

Omnipilot, the company who sells Lasso middleware for Filemaker and Mac web servers, sends out a press release to a mail group. So far so good. One fellow in England has closed his account, so that server politely replies "Very sorry, that account doesn't exist".

Then the mail sender sofware, which is apparently a listserv-like program, takes that input and sends it right back out again to the group of several thousand users -- including the English guy, whose server replies "very sorry, that account doesn't exist", whereupon the mail sender sends that out to the whole group again, including the English guy....

Soon we have people in various languages replying "What the ^&#% is going on" (to the mail sender program, wheich then sends THAT out to everyone)

This dumped over 500 emails into my inbox in less than 15 minutes, :eek: before I could get onto my ISP's web interface and blackhole the sending address.

Called the company: "We are happy to help you, Our office hours are 9 - 5 Eastern Time please call back tomorrow bzzt" -- so I tracked down the president of the company and called him at home in Florida :D

For #$#*& sakes, this is a company that sells Web software and they can't manage a simple mail out without wreaking email carnage and destruction. It'll be interesting to see how they do damage control on this -- except I won't see it because their addy is in my bozo filter now and goes straight to the bit bucket at the server.

Hell of a thing when mail comes in faster than your mail program can download, and the progress meter goes BACKWARDS...
</RANT>

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
"C'mon give me someone else to butt heads with, I'm da RAM!"

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Wow! That's really annoying. I got something similar once from a genealogy site that was run by the grey brigade so they understandably had no idea what was happening. It was pretty annoying but it wasn't as severe as your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.