Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Secoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Hi, this is my first post here in this forum. Since updating to Monterey my Mail app is not working. It is attempting to download new emails and can take hours and after a while, the app becomes unresponsive and freezes and I have to force quit the application. Also if I open an unread email the staus remain as unread. Mail is basically not working anymore. I am running version 12.01 on my MacBook Pro.

Secoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Also after opening the Mail app I cannot close the app. The only way I can close it is via Force Quit. I should note that when I access the webmail version of iCloud everything is working fine

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Welcome to MR. Sorry to hear you're having issues with Mail. I'm sure you'll get some advice, and I wish I had the solution for you, but I don't. It's difficult to say without knowing what kind of email (service) you're using (Gmail, your own domain, etc.). How many emails do you have in the account you're trying to import?

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I've had the same issues with the Mail app ever since the first beta of Monterey. Switched to Spark months ago. Sorry to hear those issues still aren't solved.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I use the stock app daily and have never had that issue.

If you're having to force quit it, I wonder if you have a lot of mails that it's either trying to download or Siri is trying to index for searching reasons. Maybe leave it open for a few hours and see if it settles.

You could check activity monitor to see if it's actually doing anything (Mail process using cpu). If not, then you could rebuild the mailboxes using the Mailbox/Rebuild option for all your mailboxes/folders.

Secoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Okay, I have 5 email services 2 Gmail and 3 iCloud.

I deactivated them all except my primary iCloud account and Mail was fine. The other 2 iCloud accounts are aliases. When I re-activated either of the alias email accounts everything went haywire. At least I know what the cause of the issue is. Now I have to try and see how to fix this.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Okay, I have 5 email services 2 Gmail and 3 iCloud.

I deactivated them all except my primary iCloud account and Mail was fine. The other 2 iCloud accounts are aliases. When I re-activated either of the alias email accounts everything went haywire. At least I know what the cause of the issue is. Now I have to try and see how to fix this.
That's great news! At least you know what the problem is now... I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

joco32

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2007
Writing in the say that I'm having exactly the same issue on Monterey with mail freezing and having to force quit. It's only happening when I have an IMAP account active, if I delete this and just use my iCloud it's fine.

I updated to 12.2 beta to see if this fixed the issue but it doesn't help.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Ugh, my Mail started misbehaving on my M1 Mac mini a couple of days ago. Lots of beach balls, freezing etc. I'm using iCloud addresses, and it's worked fine for years. Reboots and shutdowns don't seem to help, and this is the only app performing poorly. I'm on 12.1.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Monterey 12.1 here. Migrated from a Mojave system disk and haven't had any mail issues with a Gmail (IMAP), Office 365 Exchange, and another generic IMAP account.

I did the install/migration a week ago and kind of expected an issue. Last fall I attempted a Big Sur install and migration and Mail wouldn't open at all. This time it worked great.

If all of your email is stored on the servers and you don't have any "On My Mac" folders containing mail you can always resort to the option of turning off all of the email accounts (System Preferences>Internet Accounts, uncheck "Mail" for each)…then deleting everything in ~/Library/Mail … then turning Mail back on for the accounts and letting all your email re-download (will take a while).

Reactions: adrianlondon

joco32

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2007
Thanks for this - I've given it a go and I'm still getting freezing and hanging, even now just with my 2 iCloud accounts.

Going to try going down to the main 1 to try and isolate the issue! What an absolute pain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.