Mail, Maps, Notes and Weather

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kmlwx, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Kmlwx macrumors member

Those are the four apps that I really would like over anything else. I'm in installer and cannot find them. How do I get those applications? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm not that great with this stuff.

anybody willing to talk me through this? lol

Thanks!

2. dino01 macrumors member

i have them installed but they dont seem to work, not sure what i did wrong but would also like help installing them

3. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

Where did you find them? On the installer? Cause I cannot find them even there. So I'm behind you even.

4. Ldog12395 macrumors member

you have to download the apps off of www.botgod.net, then install an FTP client (file transfer protocol) i would go with filezilla. at the top put the ipod ip, username = root password = alpine and the port is 22

5. jepaz macrumors regular

6. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

So that's all the info I need? Like there's no special way to do the FTP like have a specific IP?

7. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

And are your apps working?

8. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

Hold on, I'm a bit confused. Once I FTP them to the touch are they ready to go or is there an install or something complicated I have to do?

9. Ldog12395 macrumors member

well once you hit quick connect an applications folder should pop up, and you put them in there i believe.

10. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Just done them on CyberDuck - mail and maps don't work - any fixes out there?

11. dairymandip macrumors member

go to putty enter ip
    user root pw alpine

enter

/bin/chmod -Rf +x /Applications/

then it should work

12. AppleMatt389 macrumors regular

guys, here's the fix.

Once u have the apps on ur touch u have to run a command in terminal or something similar to orrect the permissions so the apps work. I'm not sure what that is but if u search these forums for it u should find it. Or go to www.touchdev.com/wiki or something similar and ull find it.

About mail and maps, u have to copy certain folders into various places on the touch via sftp. U should find that i these forums as well. Hope thats helped.

:apple:Matt

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

once exposed, OSX is a Unix
    go get some basic readings, boys :D

14. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what folder to put the apps in. When I hit quick connect soem weird folders like Media etc. show up. And one is called library.

15. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

I guess what I need is step by step detailed instructions for the idiot over here lol.

16. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

K so the apps show up on the springboard now but they seem to freeze/crash. How to I correct the permissions?

17. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Well boys and girls, I sens this from my now working Mail
    app on my iPodTouch---yahoo!!!:D

18. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

Mail, Notes, Weather and Maps aren't working they freeze and crash. Maybe I didn't put them in the right folders although I think I did. Helppppp!

19. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

And the trick is....you download the iPhone apps from this helpful site

www.botgod.net

You then get a folder containing the apps

Connect you iPT via Cyberduck or some such program, and get into the file system on the iPT - this is similar to the file system on your mac.

Drop the apps into the 'Application' folder.

Now heres the trick - the app folder you downloaded from www.botgod.net also contains a 'system' folder - in which you go to two folders, 'PreferenceBundles' & ' Frameworks'. Take the files in these folders, and copy them over to the equivalent folders on the iPT file directory ( root/system/library/frameworks [ or preferencebundles ] )

reboot the iPT - and bingo PDA land -- :D:D:D:D now go spread the wealth

20. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

aww man stuff still crashing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I don't think so. The crashing is affecting Mail/Maps/Weather and Notes.

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't want to sit in judgement, but anyone installing the iPhone apps on the iPod touch should be fully aware that they are acting illegally: Installing the iPhone apps is piracy, plain and simple. If you need them that badly then buy an iPhone (if it's available), wait for the iPhone (if it's coming soon), do without or write your own.
    I think it's fantastic that the iPod has been opened up to 3rd party applications and that there appears to be a thriving hacking (in the good old sense) community building up, but piracy is likely to bring down the wrath of Apple and make it ever more difficult to open the iPod up in the future.
    just my 2 cents...

22. Kmlwx thread starter macrumors member

I ended up giving up on Mail/Notes/Maps and weather for now. Once I get a better understanding I might try again. But it's just too hard for me.