Mail Memory Leak OSX 10.5.7 Mail 3.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FilterFeeder, Aug 2, 2009.

1. FilterFeeder macrumors newbie

My Mail app is leaking memory at the rate of about 0.8Mb per second. If I leave it running it hogs all my RAM, starts using gigabytes of virtual RAM, slows my system to a crawl and then crashes. I have to open the app to check my mail, and then close it again - which is really irritating. It started after a recent Safari update.

I have SpamSieve on my machine, but the leak still happens when it's disabled. Similarly, I have a MobileMe email account - but it stil leaks when I disable this account.

I'm running a MacBook 3.1

Anyone have any suggestions please?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Backup your data and do an archive and install of your OS.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

After seeing Java updates break certain apps and now this I think it is probably time they introduced a feature to rollback updates. They could maybe build this on top of existing Time Machine functionality.

Reinstalling is a big hassle.

4. bobbs macrumors newbie

Memory leak on mail OS 10.6.2 with latest JAVA update

Suddenly after doing the JAVA update today, Mail client is consuming 2.8GB of my 4GB MacBook.

The system now appears to be wading through molasses. Any ideas about how to undo the JAVA update?

Bobbs

5. bobbs macrumors newbie

Mail Memory leak solved in my case

I started eliminating RSS feeds and especially the ones that contained many 1000s of posts. Finally I hit one that was continuously active and killed that feed (TED RSS). Magically the memory consumption dropped from 2.7GB to a more reasonable 65MB and everything is fast again.

So it appears to be JAVA related. For some reason the JAVA update is causing the TED RSS feed to go into a loop.

Bobbs

6. LeonStarr macrumors newbie