Mail Merge (email) in Word / Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ckeck, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Does anyone know how to do an email merge in Word 2008? I cannot figure this out and its driving me nuts!

I do mail merges all the time with Word on Windows, including the newest version, but it does not work the same.

I set up my mail template and import the data from an Excel spreadsheet. Then I drag the "primary contact" list as the greeting line, but the option to email the list is always grayed out.

Any input? Am I missing something simple somewhere? I can "merge" the list to a printer, or a new document, but that makes no sense. I want it to send all the emails through Entourage.

This is the first and only problem I've had with Word / Office 2008 thus far. I never did this in Office 2004 on the Mac either.

2. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I guess no one else has had any luck either -- or hasn't tried.

3. poppinfresh macrumors newbie

Need to use ENT

Good afternoon, ckeck.

You are experiencing this issue because Word 2008 currently requires that Entourage 2008 is your system's default email client. Once you've taken care of that, and set Entourage up with your email account, the "Merge to Email" option will no longer be grayed out.

4. icoffee macrumors regular

Office 2004 also required Entourage as the default mail client. Although I use Apple Mail, I set up the one account in Entourage that I needed to send email from and made sure it only downloaded but did not delete emails from my server :)

5. Jazamin macrumors newbie

Images disappear when completing an email mail merge

Hello

I have managed to successfully create an email mail merge using word & entourage but have had a few problems & am hoping for someone's help!

I have done it in several different ways:

1. I have created a html document using code & embeded images that are on my server & then opened the document using word. this method used to work but after a while whenever I opened the file in word it kept on saying it was downloading the image & never finished doing this & if I created the mail merge the image never appeared. It could be a problem with my code as I am not an expert when it comes to html code. So then I went to plan B &

2. I tried creating a document just in word with a picture in it.

I have had no problems with doing the mail merge but when the emails are created & opened in entourage then the images in my letter disappear. I am unsure why this has happened & it's driving me mad trying to find a solution!

If anyone knows why this may be your help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows how to link to an image that is on a website from a word document this would be good to know (i.e. to embed a picture that is on a server so that it appears anywhere & so it is not just linked to an image that is on my mac)

Thanks!

Jazamin

:confused:

6. nikkigil macrumors newbie

I am having this problem when using Excel

I have, for the past decade, been merging addresses from Excel spreadsheets into Word labels. Since installing Office 2008 for Mac I have been unable to merge anything and I am slowing going insane.

I go to: Get List > Open Data Source > I choose a .xls and I get a "Covert File From" message box and none of the choices pertain to Excel files nor do any of them work on Excel files.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

7. Kat1962 macrumors newbie

Kat1962

--- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    Did you ever figure out this problem? I have been using this feature for years for an annual event and this year it's not working just as you described. The e-mail option is greyed out. Would appreciate any insight.