Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaughanz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I have 3 Macs that I sync. I have a G5 tower, an iMac G5 and a new MacBook Pro. Today while checking my MAIL on my G5, I noticed that the progress of downloading my email was "stuck" at a particular message. i.e "Fetching Message 120 of 147". After it stayed stuck on that one download, I decided to Force Quit. Upon restarting mail, all of the emails I had just downloaded RE-downloaded so now I had two copies of every email. I then decided to log into my mail via webmail and just clean out any mail I had on the server, hoping that if one had a virus or a large file, it would fix the "clog".

I left NO, Zero, 0, emails on my server... I then started up MAIL and it started downloading a bunch of the same emails as before, except now it was stuck on message 40 of 42.

Feeling pretty frustrated, I decided to just leave the office with MAIL still running and maybe it would "fix itself" LOL! I know!

I came home and I jumped on the shiny new MacBook Pro and cranked up my MAIL and it started downloading a bunch of new mail, obviously only the new stuff since I deleted everything from my server. (I have been in a big business with the same email addy for 10 years so I get a BUNCH of mail... mostly SPAM)

Part way through "fetching" my new email, the .mac Sync popped up saying that there are some changes to my accounts, and would I like to sync now, which I did.

Long story short... my mail is now stuck fetching message 107 of 107

HELP!!!

vaughanz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
*stumped* :(

I guess another question would be... what .plist files are what? Which ones are safe to delete because it seems obvious that there IS some type of cache in Mail... since I deleted all the mail from my server, yet it continues to DL old junk, maybe I can do that??? (delete .plist files)

jlk

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
California
A similar downloading problem -- your thoughts?

Hi. I use Safari on a G4. When I go to gmail, instead of reaching my mailbox, numerous attachments start downloading automatically (all blank) and I cannot access mail. Any suggestions? -- jlk
:eek:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I used to use one mail provider that had this problem with POP3, certain messages would hang up Mail.app, but other POP3 clients would download them without incident.

In that particular case, I could "fix" things by trashing all the messages in the webmail interface, then move them back to the inbox. That undid whatever stuck Apple mail.

Ultimately I set that account to forward messages to a different server that didn't trigger the Mail.app bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.