Mail Messages Disappearing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fireplug, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Fireplug macrumors newbie

I am running Snow Leopard and the messages in my mail have disappeared, I tried running Time-Machine but that did not retrieve them. The From, Subject, date received and Mailbox all show normal information, but the body of the messages are blank. The same with the different mailboxes I have in the left column.
    PLEASE HELP, this is freaking me out.

2. Fireplug thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have found the problem.
    While digging in the Mail preferences under Accounts, I noticed that "Remove Copy From Server After Retrieving A Message" (after one week) was checked. I have just unchecked it and we'll see if that does the trick.

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Probably not. That setting controls if Mail.app should delete the email off of the mail server once it downloads it into your computer. You might keep that option turned off if you used both Mail.app and a webmail interface to check your mail, and you wanted webmail to have access to all the mail you've received.

It sounds to me like the mail inside your user account are out of whack. If you search on this forum I'm sure you'll find instructions for locating the actual email files on your drive and rebuilding mail's index.