Mail Newbie - having issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I used to use Entourage but now I am on mail. I am not able to do some of the same things, and I'm thinking it's operator error.

I have a list :)

I want to only print the selected text. If I have an email that I need to print, I don't want to print the 5 pages, only the last response. In Entourage I selected the text and that is all that would print.

I add things to the to do list, but it doesn't show up in iCal. I thought you could do this.

When I open Mail, it keeps telling me that Mail can't verify the identify. I have to hit "connect" for each account and then it connects. Not sure why, but I don't think this is right. Especially since I click on the connect button and it works fine.

I want to be able to have incoming mail go to a folder designated for the sender. For instance, if I have 20 incoming emails from one address, that it goes to a folder I set up for that address.

Once I view an image it goes unbold so I want it to have it view as unread. This was simple in Entourage, but I can't figure it out here.

thank you for ANY help! I've tried Mail help, but don't get anywhere!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I want to only print the selected text. If I have an email that I need to print, I don't want to print the 5 pages, only the last response. In Entourage I selected the text and that is all that would print.

I don't think Mail does this

I add things to the to do list, but it doesn't show up in iCal. I thought you could do this.

To Dos should show up in iCal

I want to be able to have incoming mail go to a folder designated for the sender. For instance, if I have 20 incoming emails from one address, that it goes to a folder I set up for that address.

Create a rule with the email address going to the specific folder.

Once I view an image it goes unbold so I want it to have it view as unread. This was simple in Entourage, but I can't figure it out here.

Don't understand this one...

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Do you mean if you have new mail and once you click it, it becomes "read" and you want it to stay as "unread"?

If yes, I added the read/unread buttons in the mail.app toolbar. You can CTRL+click (right click) the toolbar and add it.

4. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

Great on the read and unread - exactly what I needed! Actually better than Entourage - Yea!

I added something to my to-do's and it's there, and the alarm works, but when I open iCal, it doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

So, how does someone print just a little of the email? You know how emails go, reply after reply and before I know it, I have 5-7 pages. But I only need to print the final response. Any suggestion? I tried preview, then printed from the PDF, but what a PAIN!

How do you create a rule? sorry, newbie!

thanks so much for your help!

5. Fulgham macrumors regular

Look for the little pin on the bottom right of iCal.[​IMG]

Also, if you are using todo's... try hilighting some text in an email message and then clicking the "ToDo" button on the toolbar.
    Hrm... That would be a good feature... I hardly print my emails. I assumed it was like FireFox... but Alas you are right, I dont see an easy option. If you are going to PDF and then only printing page 1... Why not just define print page 1-x of x pages?
    From mail... Click "Mail" next to the apple... go to preferences (Command+,). Select the "rules" option.

But the easier option is to click the plus sign on the bottom left of mail. Choose "New Smart Mailbox" and then fill out the rules as you want... (If you are already reading a message from user@address.com it auto fills in the rule to move all messages from that address

Attached Files:

6. Fulgham macrumors regular

My above reply was not to your original message... and I guess I missed one of your questions.

Ok... I believe this is actually saying that it cannot verify the identity of the security certificate. The next time it happens can you let me know the options? and possibly screen shot (Command-Shift-4 ... then press space... your cursor will change to a camera... click the window you wanna capture... your desktop will get the image file)

If it is the certificate... you should be able to Show the certificate... and then I believe there is an option to "Trust Certificate"... once that is done... the pop up shouldn't be there.

7. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

You can do cmd-shft-4 and drag the part you want to print. It's not as fast, but it works. The picture will show up on the desktop.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Mail > Preferences > Rules

Add Rule:

From > Contains > Email Address

Move Message > To Mailbox:

9. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

A lot of good things. I still would love the print feature to work grrrr.

BUT I love the highlighting text and add it to the to do's. cool.

I clicked on the thumb tack and I see the list now. I thought it would come up on the actual calendar part. bummer.

I did the "always trust" on the drop down, and yea, it works!

Another question - when I get attachments, can I select them all and download them to a specific folder?

thanks to all!

10. Fulgham macrumors regular

Yup..... See the Arrow next to save you can right click or left click and hold... On the menu that comes up... choose save all.

Attached Files:

11. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I also want to know if you can make a signature and only apply it when wanted. Right now it shows up every time I do an email. In Entourage, I could just select it from the drop down if I wanted it added.