Mail not adding "Re:" to subject field?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macbookpro2007, Jul 4, 2010.

1. macbookpro2007 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've noticed that when I reply to a message, Mail doesn't add "Re: " to the subject field. I've looked in the settings but I can't find anything that adds this functionality.

How can I make Mail add "Re: " to the subject field when I reply?

Many thanks

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Are you talking about the first reply? Mail will not add another RE: when there already is one at the beginning of the subject line. If there is none, it should do it automatically.

3. macbookpro2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about every reply, which means the subject will become more or less Re: Re: Re: *subject*. Strangely enough, I find that very useful and I'd like Mail to add it in every reply. Doesn't Microsoft Outlook do that by default? Anyway, can you make Mail add "Re" constantly?

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Eek no thanks! I think the newer versions of Outlook don't do that either. With 'Re: Re: Re: Re: ... Re:' the actual topic of the email tends to get scrolled off.

5. macbookpro2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't that a personal preference?

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yes, it is a personal preference. Regardless, there is no way I am aware of to make Mail add the "Re:" in front of every message. Sorry :(

7. macbookpro2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Thank you anyway!