Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
2.16 GHz Intel C2S, 1GB RAM, bought in July.

Just Archived & Installed about 2 hours ago, and everything looks fine so far. No installation problems (though I was food shopping and by the time I came back things were fine).

However, the first weird quirk I found was that when I attempt to delete one of my inbox messages in Mail, it won't let me delete. I get this error message:

"The message "(e-mail subject name)" could not be moved to the mailbox "Deleted Messages - AOL Mail. The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox "INBOX" with server error: UID COPY failed Deleted Messages: no such mailbox."

That's the message and I have NO idea what to do, because that message does not help me at all.

This happen to anyone yet?

MacGeek Pro

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
Lincoln, NE
This is happing on my wife's iMac with her ancient AOL email account through IMAP. However, our college school accounts and Gmail both using IMAP work fine.

Jaqen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
I get the same thing but not worried about fixing it. Just going to go back to thunderbird since it's a better mail client in every way shape and form. Just thought I'd give Mail a try since Steve seemed to be really enthusiastic about it in the keynote.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
This was not happening in Tiger, I could do everything needed in Mail as I could in other mail clients.

So it's from installing Leopard somehow, though I'm not sure.

I tried deleting my AOL account in Mail and then re-creating it but that didn't help. Not sure of anything else I should try.

Any ideas?

farmboytx

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
I am having a similar but different problem. Whenever i try to delete a message on any of my 'On My Mac" folders i get the following message:

"The message blahblah could not be moved to the mailbox 'deleted messages - on my mac' The destination mailbox 'deleted messages - on my mac' does not allow messages to be moved to it."

any thoughts?

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I am having a similar but different problem. Whenever i try to delete a message on any of my 'On My Mac" folders i get the following message:

"The message blahblah could not be moved to the mailbox 'deleted messages - on my mac' The destination mailbox 'deleted messages - on my mac' does not allow messages to be moved to it."

any thoughts?

My message is basically the same but yours is for your Mac and mine's for AOL.

Nobody has any help? This is really annoying and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Hanso

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
Solution to "Can't Delete Problem"

I had it too! Drove me nuts!

Here is the solution:

Go into Preferences and select "Mailbox Behaviors". Make sure that you UNCLICK "store junk messages on the server" for each account and also UNCLICK (under Trash) "Store Deleted Messages on the Server".

Make sure, too, that under ADVANCED that you type in INBOX in the blank space alongside "IMAP Path Prefix"

That should work. Let me know!

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
Just happened to me in mail 4.2 using a POP email, Solved it by going to Preferences > Mailbox behaviors then deselecting move deleted messages to the Trash Mailbox. Saving it and then turning it back on. The trash boxes appear again and work as normal.

Apfelweie

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
had the same problem just after havin' deleted all my different trash... problem solved thanks to your research Khryz and answer, thanks :apple:

poikkeus

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Another round of applause for Khryz.

This hint fixed an annoying Mail behavior after installing OS X "High Sierra". The irony? The original post was from 2007 - ten years ago!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.