Mail not connecting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Big Stevie, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Today Ive suddenly experienced a problem with Mail, it just won't connect at all. Its always worked perfectly until today, I have no idea why. Im getting a small triangle symbol next to my Inbox, when I click on the triangle I get the following message but I'm unsure what it means...

[​IMG]

2. coach4life, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

coach4life macrumors newbie

coach4life

Mail not connecting

My Mail stopped Friday. Have looked online for an answer. Followed "take off line; take online" instructions. No avail. Even did a restore of mail from library in Time Machine with Wednesday's data. No avail.

This is my mid 2011 27" iMac. I am out of warranty so I am looking here.

I can get online in Safari, Firefox and Firebird. HELP.

3. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I have had similar problems recently on both the iPad and Mac, so I called Apple Care. The fix was to remove the email account, then add the account back in System Preferences> Internet Accounts.

Be careful when you set up the account to specify whether you are setting up just a mail account, or mail + notes + calendar accounts.

Since your Gmail account is an IMAP account, all of your emails should re-populate in the Mail app after the "new" account is re-established in your Mac.

Just to be sure that you don't lose emails, you might consider backing up your "active" mailboxes using the Mailbox>Export Mailbox function within the Mail app. By "active" mailbox I mean those mailboxes at the top of your mailbox list, e.g., each mailbox in the "inbox" or "sent" categories. Those emails sync with the email provider's servers and don't permanently reside in your computer.

Any emails that you have transferred to "local" mailboxes are already stored locally in your computer and don't need to be backed up.

If your notes and calendar also synced through this email provider (instead of through iCloud), you might consider backing up your notes and calendar entries also. However, I'm pretty sure that Google emails (Gmail) and Google Calendar entries will sync back after you remove and re-install those accounts on your Mac. Probably the same with notes, but I don't know for sure.

Be advised that I'm no computer expert. This worked well for me, but you might consider running this advice by one or two knowledgeable people to get 2nd or 3rd opinions.

Good luck.