Mail not downlading all of my Gmails emails.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hdsalinas, May 14, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

Last saturday i reinstalled the mac OS on my mac but forgot to back up my gmail emails.

I still have however all of my emails in gmail's server. So i just configured my gmail account on Mail (according to gmails settings) and started downloading all of the 380 that I have in my gmails account. I left gmail's POP settings to allow all emails to be downloaded.

Well, Mail downloaded the first 160 emalis but stopped downloading emails since jan 10 this year. It wont download any email newer than that.

What can it be?

2. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Keep clicking get mail. It'll only get so many at a time from gmail. I think it's google's doing.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Go into gmail settings and select "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)"

then open mail.app and get mail

4. oinkcluckmoobah macrumors newbie

same problem

I have almost the exact same problem. Mail downloads all of my mail from gmail up to September 24, 2006. After that it won't download any newer emails.

I tried having google set to enabling POP for ALL mail (even those which had been downloaded) but all that gave me was duplicates of every single message in Mail up to September 24, 2006. Anyone know what's going on?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

does anyone know how to "pause" mail so that when I am downloading a bulk of e-mails, when Mail resumes it doesn't redownload copies of what previously had been copied...Will just quitting work?

6. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

That was the problem I was having.

This is what I didi:

1. Deleted the gmail account in Mail.
    2. Went to gmail.com and enabled the POP setting for all mail (even those which had been downloaded)
    3. then setup my Gmail account on mail as usual and let it download all my mail.

This will take a while depending of the amount of emails that you have. I had around 400 emails some with large attachment (not to mention sent items) and pretty much took half a day. Not because my internet was slow, but beacause gmail only allows you to download mail in batches. So just leave it downlading and it should work after a while.

TIP. It would problably help if you let gmail's server to rest a couple of hours o maybe a day or two before attempting to download all of your email.

7. oinkcluckmoobah macrumors newbie

shizzzaaah i have nearly 10000 emails. oh well...I guess I better get started