Mail not working as it should

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by UlsterApple, Apr 12, 2012.

1. UlsterApple macrumors regular

I'm running a G5 Intel, Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3, and use Mail as my only mail programme, downloading from BT Internet.
    I get the impression things aren't as they should be - for instance the mail progress bar tells me "downloading 1 of 12, 2 of 12" but yet the inbox may have only one message after downloading is complete, with maybe one in junk or bulk mail. No trace of the rest.
    Recently I've found that e-mails sent, particularly those with photos, are being stored in the drafts folder even if sent. This has never happened before.
    On the Mac itself, if I drag one file to the trash and select "empty trash" it will show: "erasing one of three, two of three" etc even if the trash was empty and only one file appears to be in it. Sometimes I erase three or four photos and the progress bar will read "erasing one of eight, two of eight" etc.
    Why are there fewer e-mails than expected, and more files in trash than there should be?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First: There is no such thing as a "G5 Intel." The G5 is Apple's nickname for the PowerPC 970 family of RISC processors from IBM. Intel has nothing to do with the G5. Apple abandoned IBM for Intel in 2005-2006.

Second: There is also no such thing as a "G5 Thunderbolt." "G5" refers to the PowerPC 970 family of RISC processors from IBM. "Thunderbolt" is a very new very fast connection technology that currently uses the MiniDisplay Port form factor plug. Actually, this is not quite true. "G5" and "Thunderbolt" are connected in the world of model airplanes. If your "G5 Thunderbolt" reference refers to model airplanes, then I apologize.

The issues that you describe are unusual. As for your email issue, it would be useful if you gave a bit more information about the nature of your account. In particular--Is your account POP3 or IMAP? However, I would strongly suggest that you visit BT Internet's technical support webpage to ensure that your configuration settings in Mail are correct.

As for your Trash erasure countdown, this may be completely normal. It is important to understand that many Mac "files" are not files at all. They are special folders known as bundles. Virtually all MacOS X applications are bundles. iWork [Pages, Numbers, Keynote] documents are also bundles or ZIPped bundles. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it has to be assumed that the behavior that nothing unusual is going on with your Trash.

3. UlsterApple thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest, after all that, I'm scared to say anything more. I'm using one of these:
    APPLE iMac 21.5 Inch LED / Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz
    which apparently has THUNDERBOLT
    as opposed to all my older Macs, which aren't Intel, and don't have Thunderbolt.
    but: forget I ever asked. There are other forums, with more help and less nitpicking.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no need to be snippy. This is the Internet. When you ask a question based as the kind of misinformation that you have shown here, then you can expect to be corrected. Hopefully, you won't make that mistake again. We all have to learn. You are not an exception in this regard.

As I told you, Apple abandoned the G5 in 2006 when it switched to Intel. However, the vast majority of PPC-based Macs including all PowerBook laptops used a processor other than the G5.

Congratulations on your new iMac. Understand, however, that Thunderbolt is a very recent addition to the iMac. The majority of Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are laptops. The vast majority of the Intel-based Mac installed base does not have Thunderbolt.

Now back to your original problem. Relevant information is necessary for members of this forum or any other forum to help you. Lacking that information, then we can only surmise that your email problem has the same cause as most other email problems. That cause is improper account settings in your email client.

As I told you before, you may expect to find the proper email account settings on BT Internet's technical support webpage. I note that BT Broadband used Yahoo! for email. If yours is a Yahoo! account, then you should find its settings on Yahoo!'s UK website.