Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I cannot get the mail "notify to work" for either my Exchange Account to my iCloud Account, it is suppose to let me know whenever someone responds to an e-mail that I mark.tag "notify me"...

If anyone is able to get it working please share your settings / setup with me.

Thanks..

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I cannot get the mail "notify to work" for either my Exchange Account to my iCloud Account, it is suppose to let me know whenever someone responds to an e-mail that I mark.tag "notify me"...

If anyone is able to get it working please share your settings / setup with me.

Thanks..

What do you mean it doesn't work?

To clarify, setting "notify" doesn't affect the frequency with which you receive emails. If you have push enabled, all emails are still pushed; if you have fetch enabled, all emails are still fetched at the same frequency; if you have manual enabled, emails are still fetched manually.

All it means is you can customise the notification style for emails you set to "notify" as a distinct category of mail.

By default mail doesn't show on lock screen or show a banner or alert. By default 'notify me' does. You can change how they appear though, in Settings > Notifications > Mail.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
What do you mean it doesn't work?

To clarify, setting "notify" doesn't affect the frequency with which you receive emails. If you have push enabled, all emails are still pushed; if you have fetch enabled, all emails are still fetched at the same frequency; if you have manual enabled, emails are still fetched manually.

This is consistent with my understanding...

All it means is you can customise the notification style for emails you set to "notify" as a distinct category of mail.

By default mail doesn't show on lock screen or show a banner or alert. By default 'notify me' does. You can change how they appear though, in Settings > Notifications > Mail.

I understand i) that mail does not BY DEFAULT show an alert or a banner when not on a lock screen or when on a lock screen and ii) mail can be so configured as you note / suggest.

I do not however understand what you mean when you write "...you can customise the notification style for emails you set to "notify" as a distinct category of mail..." --- how / what is customized, what will I notice / see that is different that the notifications I now get?

Thanks so much,

Joel

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
T
I do not however understand what you mean when you write "...you can customise the notification style for emails you set to "notify" as a distinct category of mail..." --- how / what is customized, what will I notice / see that is different that the notifications I now get?

Set an email/thread to "Notify me". Go to Settings > Notifications > Mail. You should see this list:
Exchange
iCloud
VIP
Thread Notifications

The top two let you set up the notification style for Exchange and iCloud emails, and then you can override those settings for emails from VIPs and for emails set to notify you.

The term "notify me" is pretty poor, because theoretically you could set it up to show less notification than the defaults for Exchange and iCloud! (I'm someone who has banners and lockscreen set up for all emails, I don't personally have much use for this new option. At best I could make it play a different sound)

So to answer you question, the difference is whatever you decide it to be. By default the difference is that you get a banner and it shows on the lock screen, which doesn't happen for normal emails.

Sorry if I've missed the meaning of your questions again!

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Set an email/thread to "Notify me". Go to Settings > Notifications > Mail. You should see this list:
Exchange
iCloud
VIP
Thread Notifications

The top two let you set up the notification style for Exchange and iCloud emails, and then you can override those settings for emails from VIPs and for emails set to notify you.

The term "notify me" is pretty poor, because theoretically you could set it up to show less notification than the defaults for Exchange and iCloud! (I'm someone who has banners and lockscreen set up for all emails, I don't personally have much use for this new option. At best I could make it play a different sound)

So to answer you question, the difference is whatever you decide it to be. By default the difference is that you get a banner and it shows on the lock screen, which doesn't happen for normal emails.

Sorry if I've missed the meaning of your questions again!

Thank you, thank you....

Your response is crystal clear and very helpful noting the following:

1. Agree the term "notify me" is extremely poor.

2. I have the Mail alerts set to show up as banners on both the "regular screen" and the "lock screen" meaning the "Notify Me" is not terribly useful in my situation.

3. Not a fan of notifications in the Notification Centre but I do realize that is my preference and others might feel very differently.

Once again, thanks,

Joel

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Well I'm struggling to understand the fact that if you want the notify me option set on a gmail email it would have no effect correct?

The fact that gmail push is disabled would mean you wouldn't be notified.. Different story i expect if using this feature on iCloud mail tho surely??

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well I'm struggling to understand the fact that if you want the notify me option set on a gmail email it would have no effect correct?

The fact that gmail push is disabled would mean you wouldn't be notified.. Different story i expect if using this feature on iCloud mail tho surely??
You would get notified of it as soon as your device gets it (be it via push, fetch, or what have you).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.