Mail notification on home screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Is it possible to setup the iphone so that an incoming mail notification appears on the home screen / wallpaper screen so you can tell if you have a note without unlocking the phone?

I get notifications of text messages and missed calls but not incoming email. Any ideas?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

It's funny you say that, cause I've seen people's home screens with a little mail icon, but I can't seem to get that to appear on mine. I'd like to know if that's possible too.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

There was a program for jailbroken phones called Taskbar Notifier, but I don't believe it's been updated for the latest jailbreak. I miss it dearly. One quick glance at my phone in the morning and I could tell if I'd missed anything throughout the night.

4. HaroldC macrumors regular

That is exactly what I was about to make a similar post about. Why no email notification on the wallpaper screen?

Blackberry has it, and it's usefulness is beyond measure. It would be great to not have to unlock the phone to determine if there are any email messages. It already notifies you of phone calls, voicemail, and SMS messages. Why not add email notification?

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

Yep, I agree 100%. Having email show up on the lock screen like txt's do would be incredibly useful. I was shocked when I learned they didn't.

6. dauerhippo macrumors regular

There was also a great program for jailbroken 1.14 called Intelliscreen - it put calendars, news feeds, weather, email, SMS all on the unlock screen. Also, it was highly customizable. It was worth jailbreaking just for this program.

The good news is that the developer has promised to port it over to firmware 2.0, so hopefully jailbreaking will get a bit more stable, and then I can install that program again.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The good news is that the Apple iPhone team has admitted that they just didn't have enough time to do everything they wanted to.

This is good news because it means that things like this (and cut and paste) weren't left out on purpose, but just because of time constraints.

I expect we'll get some kind of 2.5 release by Christmas that will include lots of 'little things' like this. Things they obviously know about, but just weren't as important as making the app store work right.

8. Wildog27 macrumors member

Why a jailbroken app? Why not just a regular one? Does Apple not let you mess with the home screen in their SDK?

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

Yeah, background apps aren't allowed. They're only allowed to be running when you have the app open.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

laaaaaaaaaazy

One swipe it all it takes. Are your emails REALLY that important?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, no.

1 swipe
    1 touch (e-mail icon)
    1 touch (e-mail account)
    1 touch (in-box)
    1 touch (actual e-mail)

Asking for something to save 5 touches to the screen is reasonable.

(And if you have a password on the phone that's 9 touches.)

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

Your mail program doesn't load up to the same window you left?

1 swipe.
    Check for mail notification.
    If no, quit, if yes, touch mail, inbox loads up.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Multiple mail accounts.

So I tend to go back up to the 'accounts' level when I'm done. I COULD leave it in an Inbox, but I'd just have to go back up to the top level the next time anyway, so I can see both accounts. So I tend to just do it when I'm done with the e-mail so it's ready for me next time.

I thought I was in the majority here. (I actually have 7 accounts, but only 2 live on the iPhone.) I figured most people have less than me, but I thought having 2 on the phone would be common. If most people only have 1 mail account then I guess my list isn't accurate for most people.

The surprises me, though, if it's true.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah....

I have multiple email accounts, but I siphon them all into gmail on my phone. Even if the home screen showed you had messages, you'd still have to do all that clicking to see them.

Nothing that can be done about passwords, either. Nine touches go pretty fast.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But none of this addresses why you think his idea is a poor one.

Text messages and voicemails show up on the home screen. Do you dislike both of those as well and want them removed?

If so, why? If not, why do you see e-mail differently?

16. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

Multiple accounts here too. I hate having to backtrack to get to my inboxes. There should just be an inbox for both and you can choose either one instead of going through all those steps. . .

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

You're right. I just don't think it's a whole lot of touches to get what he wants, but email on the main screen (separated by mailbox) doesn't seem that tough.

18. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not tough, but it's also not consistent. I would like to just hit the home button and get a quick status of a few items on my phone - including email. Then after seeing that I can decide if I want to unlock the phone and dive in.

On my WM device, I could hit the end button, see my appointments, texts, mail etc with one single push. I would like the same on the iPhone.