Mail notification/ Quit on close: Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dirtydignity, Sep 30, 2009.

1. dirtydignity macrumors newbie

Well i had a macbook lying around and never used it. around a month ago i decided to switch to mac and that is why i sold both my laptop and desktop. So now i'm left with the macbook. I've found most of the alternatives to windows software but there are still a few things that i can find no solution to.

Problems:

1. I used Digsby in Windows, which allowed me to see which mailbox has new mail and how many mails ( I have 7 e-mail account ). I'm using Adium on mac, it gives me mail notification but not like digsby. I wan't how many mails in which mailbox are new. I hope you get the point. For example something in the taskbar show number of new e-mails for every mailbox.

2. I'm getting used to the maximize windows difference in mac but i'm tired of quit application. Whenever i click on the cross (on the top left), the window closes but the application keeps on running. I want the application to quit when i click close.

3. When i minimize any window, it takes its own space in dock, cluttering the dock. Is there any way by which applications could be minimized to its icon. I guess this has been resolved in Snow Leopard, but i'm using leopard 10.5.8.

4. Suggest me a really good audio player. I want a good alternative to Winamp/WMP. Something that starts up quick (Songbird sucks at startup times).

5. Suggest me an image viewer. If i use preview i can't see the next and the previous picture until i don't import all pictures into it. I'm not in the habit of creating image libraries.

6. How should i manage my dock in order to add more stuff ?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Adium can't do this. Try adding the accounts in question to Mail.

Get used to it. That's just the way Macs work. The effect is that programs like iTunes will keep playing music and Mail will keep checking email even after you close the windows. To quit, press command+Q.

Go to [Application name] -> Hide or press command+H instead of minimizing. Alternatively, despite your complaints earlier, you can just close the application window.

I like iTunes, but I'm assuming you don't agree since you're asking this question. Can't help you there, I'm afraid.

You can use Cover Flow view in Finder to see the images in a folder, or Quick View (spacebar) to view a larger version. I suggest you get in the habit of creating image libraries, though. iPhoto is a great app.

Drag applications from your Applications folder into the Dock. You can also add documents and folders by dragging them to the right side of the dotted line. Quicksilver is a great alternative to putting every application you own into your Dock.

3. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I guess i'll have to stick with Songbird and Xee for audio and images. Hide is a nice feature that you mentioned.
    I'm not sure about Quicksilver. I've heard a lot about it and so i installed it, but its too difficult to learn!

There is one more problem that i forgot to mention:
    How do i associate certain file types with applications. For example i would like to open jpeg with Xee. (like always open with in windows)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's the point. It learns so you don't have to. Just activate it, type the first few letters of the name of the application you want to open, and press return. (I find that the first three letters works fine since there aren't many conflicts. Fireworks and Firefox do conflict, but I use FIR for Fireworks and FOX for Firefox, and Quicksilver learned what I was after pretty quickly.)

It's not for everyone, but I find that I work a lot more quickly when I don't have to go flitting back and forth between keyboard and mouse, and being able to do most simple tasks with a few keystrokes is very nice.

Select the file in Finder and go to File -> Get Info. Under "Open with", select the application you wish to use (or "Other" if it's not listed), then click "Change All".

5. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for recommending QS. I know its a bit steep to use in the beginning but it reminds me of days when i started using Windows 3.11. I found it difficult but i got used to it.

And the file association works great now. The best part is Picasa would work fine for me. It automatically creates image libraries and tags people, so i'll be arranging my huge collection of pictures tonight. The best part is that Picasa won't copy that images into its library folder. It would leave them where they are and would create a library for them.

Thanks for all your help. I would keep this thread active and ask you questions about the problems that i face.

I have another problem:
    What is the way of changing wallpapers (Quick Change)? I mean like windows, when you right click a picture you have the option of setting it as wallpaper.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No problem. Ask away.

You can't do this through the right-click menu in Finder as in Windows Explorer. However, you can do this easily enough by opening the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane through System Preferences (or Quicksilver ;) ) or by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Change Desktop Background". In there, you can simply drag any image from Finder or elsewhere into the rectangular box in the top-left.

In Safari, there is a "Use Image as Desktop Picture" option in the right-click menu.

7. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot...
    The quicksilver shortcut works really great... now i'm enjoying quicksilver...