Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I seem to recall reading something about push affecting battery life on the iPhone. Just to be clear, if I have set up Gmail accounts via Exchange to achieve push email on the iPhone, will it have any impact on my battery life, other than when I actually receive an email? It's my impression that rather than have the Mail app periodically look in vain for new mail that isn't there, push would not do so, resulting in better battery life. Am I misunderstanding?
You are understand correctly, at least as a general rule.

Using gmail with push will still use more battery power than having both push and fetch off. But it will generally use less than fetch.

However, if you get a ton of email so that it is constantly getting pushed to your iPhone it would certainly use more battery power than using fetch only once per hour. So it really depends on the usage scenario.

Michael

----------

Yep (I'm not sure if Google supports it on the Mac side, but it will work on your iPhone).
It (gmail via exchange) works with the mac's Mail app but you don't need to bother doing that on the mac: the Mail app supports IMAP IDLE.

If iOS supported IMAP IDLE we wouldn't need to setup gmail using exchange in order to get push email.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.