Mail notifications not disappearing on iPod after deleting message on MacBook

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by myrtlebee, Jan 11, 2013.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'm not sure if I can explain this clearly, but I'll give it a shot. I've tried searching, but haven't come up with anything (guess I'm not using the right terms, or this is a rare issue or a non-issue).

I'm running iOS 6 on my 4th gen iPod Touch and Mountain Lion on my 2011 MacBook Air. I am using the default mail applications on both. I have the same two mail services on each (a university e-mail and an AOL email [I know, haha AOL, but I've had the address since the 1990s and it's too well-established to get rid of]).
    The "Fetch new data" setting in iOS is set as "Push" with "Fetch" as "Every 15 minutes".

Here's the issue: When I get a notification of a piece of mail and I check it on my MacBook Air - either deleting it, saving it, or simply reading it - the notification for that piece of mail (the red circle with a number) stays on my iPod requiring me to open the mail app in iOS and refresh the mailbox to get rid of it. The notification never disappears on my iPod unless I do this, no matter how long I wait.

The funny thing is, if I do this the other way around - reading the mail on my iPod - the notification automatically disappears on my Mac's Mail app, as it's supposed to.

What am I doing wrong? Is this normal? This has been happening as long as I can remember but it is starting to become increasingly annoying.

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I have the same problem on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6. I think it's a glitch in the notifications related to Mail.

I just hit the little X and clear the notifications.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Its an iOS issue. Once the Notification appears on iOS, the user must go to the app to dismiss it.

(Same thing happens on my iCloud email.)

4. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

What x? I just pull down to refresh and it clears it

Really? It's a pretty blatant glitch. One would think they would have fixed it by now. It's the only real gripe I have with it at the moment.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Mac Mail app may not sync with server for a few minutes?

6. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It's not that- like I said, it doesn't matter how long I wait. I've actually went a day before and it was still like that. :(

7. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

The X in Notification Centre. :)

8. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I just tried that- doesn't work for me. There's still the red notification on the mail icon. The only way to get rid of it for me is to open the mail app. Oh well. Looks like there's no real fix for it.

9. kage207 macrumors 6502a

You don't have Push on or that it has not Fetched the update yet (if you have Mail on Fetch). Depends on your settings. You should read up on them.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

the iOS 6.1 betas have fixed this problem. If I read a new mail on my iPhone I can see the notifications vanish on my iPad and Mac almost instantly. On 6.0 I had the same issue as the OP.

11. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I already mentioned this - I do have Push on and I have waited up to A DAY for it to work, so it is not that it hasn't yet fetched the update. I've read up on the settings, I understand them, there's nothing wrong with them.

I'm glad to hear this! Thanks for telling me. Like you, when I read my new mail on my iPod, I see the notifications vanish instantly on my Mac. Guess I will be waiting for 6.1.