Mail notifications?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TaylorJ, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TaylorJ macrumors regular

This is a totally noobish question I looked all over the prefs of the mail app. But how do I get mail to show when I have new mail? Right now it only checks for mail when I open the app. Is there a way for it to show me with notifications that I have new or unread mail. I have it to check for mail every 5 mins.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to have the program launched in order for it to tell you if you have new mail or not. If the program is not open, it cannot check for new mail.

3. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Thats actually pretty disappointing. I suppose I should have guessed, how else is it suppose to work but I would rather have something running in the background rather than having the full app open.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's exactly what happens when you open Mail and minimize or hide it. If you don't like it, I suggest you code your own Mail client or use GMail's web interface.

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I have Mail set to launch at login as a hidden/closed window. Leaving it open doesn't hinder my Mac's performance any, so that's what I do.

6. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

LOL somebody is having a bad day. Either that or you had something to do with the creation of the app or mac osx.

Never the less, thanks for the replies. I will try notify!

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

There's a gmail extension for Safari too.

I use that to great effect.

For those too lazy to google it: Link