Mail Odd Behavior in One User Account

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by macmini14, Sep 10, 2016.

1. macmini14 macrumors newbie

macmini14

I recently upgraded to El Capitan on a Mac Mini (from 10.6 on a MacBook). I initially posted about this problem over on the Apple Discussions board. Mail.app is behaving oddly in my main user account (details below). The behavior doesn't show up in my other user account.

In the ˜/Library/Preferences folder, I deleted com.apple.mail.plist and re-launched Mail. That didn't fix the problem, and Mail did not create a new plist file. I've also tried deleting these files from the Library folder:
    com.apple.mail-shared.plist
    com.apple.MailMigratorService.plist
    com.apple.mail.plist.nOy . . . [other random characters]
    com.apple.mail.plist.fRI . . . [other random characters]
    but to no avail.

How can I get Mail to behave normally in this user account?

Details of odd behavior:

Mail: messages don't expand in preview pane. To clarify, by the preview pane I mean the middle pane in the non-classic layout, that shows 2 lines of all the messages in a selected mailbox.

If the pane is, say, 4" wide, the message preview is only 1.5" wide. But as soon as I adjust the width of the pane, the messages snap into fully expanding in the pane, and expand and contract with the pane width as you'd expect. But when I select another mailbox, the previews are once again 'squished'.

Also, if I choose "Classic Layout" in preferences, the app crashes and then hangs on launch. I have to go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and de-select all accounts, re-launch Mail, de-select Classic view, and then add the accounts back.

Thanks, DW

2. macmini14 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmini14

Woo hoo! figured it out! The plist was hiding in this folder:
    ˜/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    Deleting it fixed the problem.