Mail ok, but browers don´t work

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
13,810
4,918
Somewhere over the rainbow
Fairly often, when I wake my PB from sleep or turn it on for the first time each day, I will find that I can send and receive mail, but that no link will open in any browser. The brower (Camino, Safari, Mozilla) will tell me that the site can´t be found. Same applies to directly writing the link into the address line.

If I turn Airport off, then on again, and ask it to connect, it will work as it should, and everything will be fine til the next time I start from scratch.

Why?
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,805
174
Bergen, Norway
After waking up your PB... do you get airport signal at all? (Should obviously be so since you say you receive mail, but still, this is a problem when I wake my iBook from sleep: it doesn't "see" my Airport Express before I toggle Airport off/on on my iBook...)

If that's ok, then I guess it's some kind of DNS-error... in your mail-settings, are the Incoming and Outgoing Mailservers written in a form mail.whatever.com/smtp.whatever.com or 217.xx.xxx.9 or any other number.number.number.number, where the numbers are between 0 and 255...?

Edit: Small pet peeve: Please use the ' which is apostrophe in words like don't, and not ´ which should only be used with letters, like é, í, ó, etc... the ' is found top left (on a Norwegian Apple keyboard) and the ´ (which waits for another keystroke) is found top right... ;)
 

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
13,810
4,918
Somewhere over the rainbow
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
After waking up your PB... do you get airport signal at all? (Should obviously be so since you say you receive mail, but still, this is a problem when I wake my iBook from sleep: it doesn't "see" my Airport Express before I toggle Airport off/on on my iBook...)

If that's ok, then I guess it's some kind of DNS-error... in your mail-settings, are the Incoming and Outgoing Mailservers written in a form mail.whatever.com/smtp.whatever.com or 217.xx.xxx.9 or any other number.number.number.number, where the numbers are between 0 and 255...?

Edit: Small pet peeve: Please use the ' which is apostrophe in words like don't, and not ´ which should only be used with letters, like é, í, ó, etc... the ' is found top left (on a Norwegian Apple keyboard) and the ´ (which waits for another keystroke) is found top right... ;)
Yes, I always have a strong airport signal, so that´s not the problem.

About the apostrophe - this is a problem I´ve posted about earlier, without getting an answer. I have a PB with an American keyboard, and most of the time, I use it set for the Norwegian set-up. There is no true apostrophe on the Norwegian set-up, as far as I can find. It bugs me, too - in certain cases I actually have to use an extra space to make the "´" behave as an apostrophe. I´ve checked the keyboard viewer for the Norwegian set-up, but there´s no apostrophe there. I´ve even purchased an Apple Norwegian bluetooth keyboard, and there IS supposed to be an apostrophe - I can see it on the keyboard, top left like you say - but it doesn´t work - I get a different character, even when I make sure the keyboard indicator on the PB is set to Norwegian.

I´ll check the DNS business and see if that helps my original problem.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,805
174
Bergen, Norway
Ok, I haven't read the other apostrophe-thread... :eek:

What happens when you hit the key to the left of the 1-key on the American keybord, but with everything else Norwegian...? Edit: Or the key, one, two or three keys to the right of the L-key...
 

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
13,810
4,918
Somewhere over the rainbow
Here´s what I get when, in Norwegian mode, I type lower and uppercase on the PB keyboard, using the key to the left of "1":

<
>

Here´s what I get when, in American mode, still on the PB, when I type lower and uppercse on the same key:

`
~

Here´s what I get when the PB is in Norwegian mode, I´m using my bluetooth Norwegian Apple keyboard, and I type the same key:

'
§

...Oi, now I get the apostrophe, my God....Sorry, don´t know why I couldn´t get the apostrophe on the bluetooth keyboard earlier :eek: I obviously did something weird/wrong/stupid :eek:

But the problem of the PB not having an apostrophe while using the PB's own keyboard still remains, and it bugs me to no end. I only use the bluetooth keyboard in certain situations, when I have the PB up on an iCurve and need the desk space, or when I want to have the keyboard in my lap. The PB's own keyboard is much nicer to use, and of course I don't want to drag the BT keyboard around with me all the time. If you can help me figure this out, I owe you a beer the next time you're in Oslo :D

By the way - do you know the difference between the regular Norwegian keyboard set-up choice, and the one called Norwegian Extended??

Edit: I forgot the rest of your question. The first key to the right of "L", lower and uppercase, first in Norwegian mode, then in American:

ø
Ø

;
:

The second key to the right of the "L", same drill:

æ
Æ

'
"

On my PB's keyboard, the third key to the right of "L" is the enter/return key.

I don't want to have to switch my keyboard setting to American every time I need the apostrophe - I can be typing in Norwegian, then need to type in English - this goes on all day. I need the apostrophe on the Norwegian set-up of my American PB....
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,805
174
Bergen, Norway
Most of the keys are (slightly) different... not counting the A-Z keys, that is...

You could go into an Apple retailer, and ask if they have any loose, replacement keys for a Norwegian keyboard, and change them... the keys are very easy to pop off anf pop back on again... Then you could have Norwegian setting all the time... I know that this is possible and have heard of people who'd done it... and a couple of loos keys shouldn't cost too much (if anything when asked nicely)... ;)

Edit: The Norwegian æ button, second right from L, seems like a single quote aka apostophe in American layout... ;)
 

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
13,810
4,918
Somewhere over the rainbow
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Most of the keys are (slightly) different... not counting the A-Z keys, that is...

You could go into an Apple retailer, and ask if they have any loose, replacement keys for a Norwegian keyboard, and change them... the keys are very easy to pop off anf pop back on again... Then you could have Norwegian setting all the time... I know that this is possible and have heard of people who'd done it... and a couple of loos keys shouldn't cost too much (if anything when asked nicely)... ;)

Edit: The Norwegian æ button, second right from L, seems like a single quote aka apostophe in American layout... ;)
Getting Norwegian keys for my PB wouldn´t solve my problem - I still wouldn´t have the apostrophe. I don´t mind the American layout on the physical PB keyboard, I touch type anyway and never look at the keys, my mind is in the Norwegian layout :cool: Actually I wouldn´t need the American virtual set-up at all if the Norwegian one had the apostrophe. The only reason my PB is American, is because I was home visiting family there, and the prices are MUCH lower - so I got my Mac there.

Yes, the æ-key on a Norwegian Apple keyboard is in the same place as the quotes/apostrophe key on the American keyboard, but like I said - I don´t want to switch back and forth from Norwegian to American set-up just to type an apostrophe.

Maybe it´s possible to program keys? I could ask at the Oslo Apple Store about that. I could have the upper left key on my PB keyboard programmed for apostrophes.

As you can see, I went back to my PB´s keyboard to type this mail :eek:

Thanks for your help, but I guess there´s no apostrophe on the Norwegian keyboard set-up, since none shows up on keyboard viewer. No beer for this one :D

By the way, I just checked my incoming and outgoing mail servers (jfr my first post and your first answer) - they´re not numbers.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,805
174
Bergen, Norway
annk said:
By the way, I just checked my incoming and outgoing mail servers (jfr my first post and your first answer) - they´re not numbers.
That's really odd... and you have repaired permissions and run periodicals...? (the usual stuff... ;))

Since you can check Mail, but not access web-pages, I guess it's not one of the known Sleep or DNS bugs which have been a nuisance for many in 10.3...
 

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
13,810
4,918
Somewhere over the rainbow
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
That's really odd... and you have repaired permissions and run periodicals...? (the usual stuff... ;))

Since you can check Mail, but not access web-pages, I guess it's not one of the known Sleep or DNS bugs which have been a nuisance for many in 10.3...
Yeah, I do the usual stuff everytime something weird happens. In this case, though, the problem is only occasional, and I haven´t been able to find a pattern that corresponds to maintenance. As long as it doesn´t happen more often than now, I can live with it. I just thought someone here might know the answer, and that it might turn out to be something really easy.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.