mail on 1.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Craig Christ, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Craig Christ macrumors member

Quick question, perhaps over used... Can I get mail app on my 1.1.2 iPod? I'm not sure if I want to go to 1.1.3. Thanks.

2. Craig Christ thread starter macrumors member

So the silence treatment is telling me I should just shut up and upgrade to 1.1.3?

Is there some sort of list that I can verify to confirm if my currently installed apps will have issues with 1.1.3?

Also, Say for whatever reason I need to store over at 1.1.1. Will the fact I'm using iTunes 7.6 give me grief?

Thanks in advanced.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

dont take no1 replying as everyone telling you to shut up, could just be people are at work (call me a crazy but people work during the day :p)

if you have a jailbroken 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 go to installer and add the following source:
    applerepo.com

you will be able to install maps, weather, mail, notes, stocks

4. bnizzy macrumors member

i just went from 1.1.2 JB to 1.1.3... and it was not a easy process, nor did it take the "40 mins to 1.5 hrs" other people seem to have experienced.

I spent the entire weekend doing it. I had to factory restore it 3 times. apparently its itunes 7.6 that messes with it. Just be prepared that it may be more painful than you may expect. I lost ALL my apps and basically had to start over from scratch. 3 times. I'm sure my results are not typical, but I know many ppl are having issues similar to mine.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that there are apps that are not fully compatible with 1.1.3 yet such as Apollo. There is a mail app for 1.1.3, as well as all of the other iphone apps like gmaps, stocks, weather which seem to work fine so far.

I'd say just stay with 1.1.2, get all the apps like andybno1 just posted plus whatever else on installer because all the apps work on 1.1.2 no problem. Then when all the dust settles on this 1.1.3 mess then upgrade.

just suggestions.

good luck!

5. Craig Christ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply guys. If I can get mail for 1.1.2, then I have no reason to go to 1.1.3 really.

If I'm going to go through the possible pains of upgrading, I might as well wait til I want to use SDK route and stick with 1.1.2 until then.

bnizzy, how did you get around your iT7.6 issues? Were you able to do via 7.6 or did you downgrade to 7.5? I also heard that going to 7.5 doesn't always work since 7.6 still leaves fragments behind that can still screw things up? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

6. bnizzy macrumors member

So the first time I tried to upgrade and ended up being a full waste of time was because of that fact. However, you can get around it by running the INdependence file off of Google Code.

http://code.google.com/p/independence/

download the INdependence (beta) one and run it as you do the upgrade to 1.1.3. This will get you around the iTunes 7.6 issues. I can attest to the fact that I did it through this method, then used ipodtouchmaster's 1.1.3 jailbreak + apps installer app. There are some other ways, such as Nate True's method, but I personally used the ipodtouchmaster's app and it worked.

This video kind of shows you how to run the INdependence... there is a link for part 1 in the video desc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRusHxeDNH8

note: It will say smth like "iphone trying to connect" or some warning sign and it looks like it isnt working, but it actually is. i dont know why that is, I just know that it worked for me.

good luck!

ps. I still am having problems getting Summerboard and Customize to work on 1.1.3... so if anyone knows how to get it to work, pls help me out. If you havent gotten 1.1.3 yet, you may want to wait a bit longer until these issues get ironed out.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

bnizzy: the reason people are sayin about the 40 to 1.5 hrs is because I believe alot of us are now using the automatic process via installer.

under the system category theres a install labeled Official 1.1.3 upgrader this will install and send you back to springboard. WITH BSD SUBSYSTEM INSTALLED click on the jailbreak icon on your springboard and it will auto update to 1.1.3 within the said 40 mins to hr an half

8. bnizzy macrumors member

aaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    i see.
    man, i wish i talked to you before i went thru all that crazy waiting around and staring at my touch for hours on end... but still, thanks for the advice.

*sigh... so basically tonite is another fun night of restore back to 1.1.1, JB, 1.1.2, JB, then 1.1.3, JB.

man... the things we do... haha.

9. FearedBliss macrumors member

10. Craig Christ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I have everything I need via 1.1.2.

I'm pretty confident I could get 1.1.3 working properly, but why fix something that ain't broken?

The Applications partition only has like 12 Megs free though. Is this any kind of cause for concern? If someone wants to go nuts an install every app, theme, utility out there, can he get around this 300 Meg limitation?