Mail on iPhone versus Mail on computer!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericxd, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ericxd macrumors regular

When i look thru my emails (hotmail) on my iPhone, how come when i try to delete them, it deletes on the iPhone but it doesnt delete on what on the computer?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

hotmail only supports POP, a very outdated email system where messages are downloaded to the device and handled there entirely

if microsoft enabled IMAP in hotmail, which is much better, changes made on one device are reflected on the server, and therefore on all other devices which access your email

you'll need to switch to gmail or another provider for this, it took M$ years to add POP, which has been outed years ago by all other mail providers for IMAP/exchange

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yahoo Mail will also do what you want.

4. ericxd thread starter macrumors regular

so basically its only msn that duplicates ur email and doesnt actually delete them?

which email account actually deletes ur email?

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

As was mentioned, the problem with Hotmail is that it uses POP... POP downloads all messages from the server and that's it. Any changes you make will not be synchronised with the server and therefore will not update any changes to Mail. POP is only good if you are accessing your e-mail from one computer.

IMAP, which is what Gmail and Yahoo use for example, is much better for using with several computers/phones. Any changes you make will be synchronised with the server and will then update all your other Mail applications. I access my Gmail account from my iMac, my windows laptop and my iPhone. When I read or delete an e-mail it will be deleted or marked as read on all other devices.

I can't see why anyone uses Hotmail nowadays...

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Hotmail does update their server and delete mails you have deleted on your phone, or at least it does for me. It just takes a while for the server to sync.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

It's not the email account but how you connect to it whether your changes are just local or also remote.

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Find someone with ATT internet and ask them to make a sub account email for you....

That way you get premium yahoo mail for free, and the push seems to work better for the paid yahoo mail.