mail on iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by seamustry, Sep 26, 2008.

1. seamustry macrumors member

how do I know if mail app is setting up my email as IMAP or pop?

I want to be able to choose between the two and also make sure that I get IMAP mail...

2. BennyK macrumors 6502

It sets it up as you have it on your computer. If it is IMAP on your computer, it will be IMAP on your iPod. That is how I think it works

3. mrmmd macrumors newbie

Pop/imap

I suspect most likely you get your email from your internet service provider (ISP). If so, you almost for sure use POP. You can either check the email settings on your computer or check with your ISP if you are not sure. The same settings would be set on your iPod like the last poster mentioned. Now one thing, is that when you download your email to your iPod, you will not also be able to download it to your computer as it will move from your ISP's server to your ipod. Or if you check your email on your computer and download it, it will not be downloaded to our iPod since you already retrieved it to your computer. There are some ways around this, let me know if you need to know how you may do this.

If on the other hand your email is your company email, they most likely have an Exchange email server. Then you will need to get with your administrator and get some additional settings and here you use IMAP. He will need to open port 993 (IMAPS - Secure) on the company router and provide you with the server name etc.

Hope this helps a little more.
    mrmmd:D

4. BennyK macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info!!!

5. seamustry thread starter macrumors member

I use my college email which can be used as IMAP and pop

I want to make sure that iPod selects IMAP so that all the mail isn't removed from the mail server