Mail - only want to download X messages

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Oct 22, 2010.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Is it possible to only get maybe the last 200 messages in my mailbox?

I've been using Gmail (web/mobile) version for years and want to start using Mail on my laptop.

I have maybe 15,000 messages and I don't want mail to download all of them. I just need maybe the last 100.

Is this possible?

thanks

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If you are using mail.app for gmail, just set it up for IMAP - then you won't have to physically d/l any must unless you want to.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What does this mean? The question is not whether or not IMAP is "on"; the question is are you using the proper settings in Mail to access Gmail via IMAP.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok, what are the proper settings in Mail that I should be using?

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If it says the server type in Accounts is IMAP, that should take care of most what you need. Look in "Advanced", where there is a pop-up that says "Keep copies of messages" (I am using 10.5, your Mail.app may be different), set that appropriately to prevent it from automatically downloading mail. The only other thing that might pull in mail you do not want is your filters ("Rules"). You might want to figure out how to make a Rule that automatically fetches the mail you want (e.g., is more recent that such-and-such a date).

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Please be more explicit.

How do these settings or any of the current available rule options stop Mail.app syncing the mail information (even if not downloading all the messages content and attachments) from a mailbox that has thousands of messages in it?

I wonder whether the best option if a rule to move the messages to another server folder after a certain time, but nothing is going to work like the iPhone last 200 messages system.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

It doesn't. Just the proper iMap settings to make sure Mail is set up properly with gmail and Imap.