Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Hi there,
I am new here but need an honest opinion on whether I should use entourage or mail. I love mail's look but it does not have as many features as entourage. I am currently using entourage and am happy that I can finally search for mail using spotlight (that was a deciding feature).

Thanks

Lexus

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
I use Entourage 2004. I like Mail's simplicity and elegance, but I want to check Hotmail without going through an awful, slow and clunky webmail interface. And I don't want to use two email programs, and Entourage seems to work great with IMAP for me, so Entourage it is.

I think most Apple fans will favour Mail, however.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
dops7107 said:
I use Entourage 2004. I like Mail's simplicity and elegance, but I want to check Hotmail without going through an awful, slow and clunky webmail interface. And I don't want to use two email programs, and Entourage seems to work great with IMAP for me, so Entourage it is.

Yes I started off with Entourage and didn't even want to consider Mail (being a long time Outlook fan from Windows).

Eventually I got so annoyed with Entourage's speed, interface and clunkiness that I switched to Mail, never looked back since. Intergration with Address Book etc is so much better, plus Spotlight intergration for starters won me over for Mail. Its quicker, smarter, simpler and more streamlined, a pleasure to look at, just does it's job, as always! (I don't like Panther's Mail.app though, Tiger's Mail.app is greatly improved.)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
rye9 said:
Denitely Mail I think, it's simple and easy to use... and gets the job done.
ditto!

Mail is awesome; I hate Outlook and entourage because of Mails simplicity to use and entourages and and outlook's not... simplicity..... :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
The most recent MS Office update indexes Entourage for Spotlight search compatability. It's really awesome.

I use Office for many things, so Entourage's ability to work within those programs as well as its compatability with other Mac software does the job for me. Sounds like your're using it and liking it, too.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
dops7107 said:

did u purchase the preminum thing? because i thouth entourage doesn't let u use hotmail unless u upgraded or w.e.?

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
i4k20c said:
did u purchase the preminum thing? because i thouth entourage doesn't let u use hotmail unless u upgraded or w.e.?

No. I signed up for my account ages ago when it was a free service, and, for the time being at least, Hotmail allows me to access via Entourage/Outlook. But that may be withdrawn in the near future, with Windows Hotmail Live or whatever it is.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
dops7107 said:
I want to check Hotmail without going through an awful, slow and clunky webmail interface. And I don't want to use two email programs,

With this plug-in for Mail, you can check and send hotmail (regular free account) using Mail.app. I've used it for a couple of years.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I have entourage but have never used it. I was a big Outlook fan as a windows user, but found Mail does all I need and I like the integration of it with other parts of OS X.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
I used Mail in Jaguar and Panther and liked it very much but since the changes in Tiger it has refused to behave. It crashes constantly, does very strange inexplicable things with my messages and is generally unusable. I have a .Mac account, Gmail and am hooked to an Exchange server at work so Entourage was the perfect solution. Other than the dizzying array of features (which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO), I find it a perfect fit.

This just made me realize though: Does anyone use Thunderbird and how is it?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ewoh24 said:
I used Mail in Jaguar and Panther and liked it very much but since the changes in Tiger it has refused to behave. It crashes constantly, does very strange inexplicable things with my messages and is generally unusable. ...
What you describe is not normal. You have a problem with your system, not Mail in particular. You should be trying to diagnose and solve your problem. At best, using another mail client will only mask it.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I prefer MAIL over Crappy MS mail

I personally like MAIL better than Encourage. Why? Because you can save and download all attachments all at once and Encourage let you save one at a time which is waste of time! That's all it matter to me. It's simple and useful.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
ewoh24 said:
This just made me realize though: Does anyone use Thunderbird and how is it?

I just read this thread, so sorry for the delayed response. I use Thunderbird on XPand, well, it is a mail client. It's pretty quick as far as opening emails and such, but nothing fancy. When I get around to switching, though, I'll probably just end up using Mail.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
lexus said:
So you think I should stick to entourage?

Jeepers... I've stated my position as to why I use Entourage. If you agree, then stick with it. Why not just try Mail for a few days, and see if it "works" better for you. There's no right/wrong answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.