Mail or Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ggulliver, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ggulliver macrumors member

Having been using Thunderbird for years, I'm considering switching to Mail.

Does eithe rhave significant advantages/disadvantages.

And, some quick points:

1 Can Mail by default display all messages as plain text rather than html? I see than I can change them individually but haven't found a way to do that for all.

2 Can Mail have the shading on alternate emails when viewing the inbox?

3 In Thunderbird, each account has in/sent/etc within the account, whereas Mail displays all in mail in a single inbox. Can this be configged to behave as Thunderbird?

2. scottjua macrumors newbie

I've been struggling with this change too the past week or so.

I went from thunderbird on windows to mail and thunderbird on Lion... and so far I still can't decide.

I like the integration of Mail within the OS, and the conversation view of threaded emails... but I can't stand the folder/inbox/ hierarchy of mail compared to thunderbird.

I also don't like the monochrome look of mail compared to thunderbird, as it just takes my eye a little longer to differentiate folders, etc.

I thought I'd just need to get used to Mail, but I am seriously thinking of sticking with TBird since the contacts aren't a problem anymore.

So to sort of answer #3: The only way I've found to do it, is to have multiple accounts, and use RULES to sort emails that I receive into my folders/boxes imported from thunderbird...

a silly workaround... and still not entirely the same...

I am deciding tonight before I send too many more emails...

3. ggulliver thread starter macrumors member