mail password fail (what changed?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevendkurtz, Aug 12, 2012.

1. stevendkurtz macrumors newbie

Mail will not receive mail anymore (though it did before, as of yesterday, and I didn't change anything). I can log onto my Gmail account on the server and so I know it's working fine. In Mail, I tried to send a test email to myself. I can send it - I can see it on my Gmail list via the browser, but I cannot receive it. Mail says I need to put in my password. Why? Where did it go? I tried to re-enter the Gmail password (several times) without anything changing; I even tried to put in my Apple password (which I don't think belongs there, but they never specify which password you need - which is irritating - as if there is only one password that you need to be using when you have a web-based email like Gmail on an Apple computer). But that didn't work either.

2. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

My experience with Mail

I have found that Mail is just forgetful. It has read mail fine and 10 minutes later it insists I enter a password for an account that just worked. If I try to re-enter the password it usually is rejected. The only solution I find that works is quitting Mail and relaunching. Other than this simple remedy I have nothing else to offer.

3. andy8 macrumors regular

Same frustration here

I face the same problem. Often, relaunching Mail fixes the problem temporarily. Hopefully, Apple will come with a fix in 10.8.1.