Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hello,

I am trying to use the email pdf option from the OS X print menu. Clicking on the PDF drop list at the bottom left of the print dialogue brings up several options,one of which is Mail PDF. That option, however, will launch the Mail app, rather than the default mail client (in my case Outlook). The problem is only with the option from the print dialogue. If I try to mail a pdf from the Finder or from the FILE-SHARE menu of most applications the correct email client is launched. Unfortunately, not all the programs have that menu option (oddly, Preview is one of the programs lacking that option), in which case the Print menu comes in handy.

Does anyone know hot to fix this?

Thank you,

Gianfranco

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hello,

I am trying to use the email pdf option from the OS X print menu. Clicking on the PDF drop list at the bottom left of the print dialogue brings up several options,one of which is Mail PDF. That option, however, will launch the Mail app, rather than the default mail client (in my case Outlook). The problem is only with the option from the print dialogue. If I try to mail a pdf from the Finder or from the FILE-SHARE menu of most applications the correct email client is launched. Unfortunately, not all the programs have that menu option (oddly, Preview is one of the programs lacking that option), in which case the Print menu comes in handy.

Does anyone know hot to fix this?

Thank you,

Gianfranco
Outlook 2011 and earlier versions of Entourage before it cannot handle tasks of this type. You should consider taking-up this issue with Microsoft. If enough people join you, then perhaps Microsoft will develop a solution.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Outlook 2011 and earlier versions of Entourage before it cannot handle tasks of this type. You should consider taking-up this issue with Microsoft. If enough people join you, then perhaps Microsoft will develop a solution.

I am sorry but I do not think that this has anything to do with Outlook or Entourage. I tried that feature using different programs set up as default email client, and the result is the same. This is an OS X feature. Every print dialogue box, no matter from what program it is invoked, will show up with a PDF drop-down list (lower left corner), from which the user can select the option to mail the PDF. That option is where I think the bug is. The bug is that instead of the default email client, the option always launches Mail….

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
OS feature or not, it is still the developer's choice to enable it in the application. Just because Outlook/Entourage doesn't handle the task does not mean that it is the only email client that doesn't handle the task. Which alternative email clients have you tried as your default?

Gilliss2014

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
I too would appreciate a helpful response to the original question. This is clearly an issue with the Mail PDF function in the print dialog box, because it happens from within every single application that uses the standard print dialog, including Safari. In my case, mailto: hyperlinks are correctly sent to AirMail, but the Mail PDF option of the system print dialog sends me to OS X Mail. Mail Preferences are set correctly.

This may serve as a hint: if I force quit OS X Mail while it's trying to open after using Print's "Mail PDF" , I get a dialog box error
"The action "New Mail Message" encountered an error.
Check the action's properties and try running the workflow again."

Rivet

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
that link was dead, but I found out that if you just place an alias of Airmail in:
/Library/PDF Services/

and optionally rename it 'Airmail PDF'

It will appear in your PDF menu

Reactions: parasight
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.