Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Is is possible to disable to auto preview of an email. So that I'd have to double click to open the mail.
I get quite some spam and I'd prefer those not to get opened when I'm right clicking on them to delete them.

Last edited:

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If you switch to Classic View in Mail Prefs, drag the Horizontal Splitter down to the bottom of the screen then switch back to Modern View, the Preview pane will be gone from both views.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks that worked.

But I noticed that it probably also would have worked if I had just moved the vertical slide bar all the way to the right.

When I did it the way you described I noticed a thicker bar at the right (after switching to back from classic view). I pulled it to the left and there was the preview again. Sliding it back to the right made it smaller ... and then when moved far enough to the right it disappeared. Looks the same way it did when I finished trying out your method.

Thanks again. I did move the preview slider during my own research at some point. But it never occurred to me to just slide it further (all the way to the right) to make it disappear. Come to think of it, it is kind of Mac like (my opinion)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.