Mail Preview Pane Missing

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by martosprint, Oct 17, 2015.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

As the title suggests I somehow lost the preview column in Mail. I don't know what I did if anything to cause it. I want to show the emails in the left column and the preview them on the right. Right now it just shows the emails in the left column. I googled the issue many times but could not resolve it. Some said that there was a dot on the right side to change the layout but I don't see it. Is there an easier way to do it?
    thanks for a reply.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, the preview part of the Mail window can be closed, and is tricky to open up again. There's no dot (that I could see), and it took some playing around for me to get the preview window back, too.
    Carefully mouse along the right edge of your Mail window.
    If you move your mouse around a bit, you will see the cursor change to either a double ended arrow, or a vertical bar with a left-facing arrow. When you see the vertical bar/arrow, click and drag to the left. Release when you see the window divider appear. There's your preview window. Now you can position the divider where you like.
    The cursor position for moving the pane is a little finicky, so experiment until you get it to work.

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi DeltaMac, it took a bit of trying but I got it to work...thanks a lot for that info..it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out..thanks again

4. Wendy.Carroll macrumors newbie

Wendy.Carroll

--- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2016 ---
    OMG I have spent ages trying to do what other people said to do with a dot and classic view. Rubbish. I did what you said DeltaMac and in seconds the Preview Pain was back. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

5. Cheryl4 macrumors newbie

Cheryl4

I spent over an hour with Apple Support yesterday to no avail. Your advice is the best I've seen but it's not working yet for me. I'll keep trying. I have an older iMac and the mail preview pane is fine.
    New iMac not fine. Now I'm wondering because the computers are right next to each other could that be the problem?

6. iambenfuego macrumors newbie

iambenfuego

--- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    If you are having trouble grabbing the "finicky" tool, switch View Full Page. I did this and was instantly able to grab and move the bar.

7. msaltar macrumors newbie

msaltar

THANK YOU!!! That solved my issue. UNREAL how long it took...until I found your trick.