Mail Problem...can't send?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajchapinjr.com, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Hey all,
    I was making use of Apple's Mail program and enjoying it's ease-of-use and simplistic interface and all that for quite some time...and then I went back to school.

At home, (in CT) I had no problem sending and receiving emails from both servers (they are website domains that I own, both are hosted by GoDaddy).

Now that I'm at school (on their network...), I can receive the emails with no problem but when I go to send, it tries to connect to the server multiple times and fails to do so. I called GoDaddy, and they suggested a different port to connect to, but Mail didn't have a field for me to put in a new port for a SMTP-out server.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a field for a port that I'm just missing? Is this something to do with the school network?

I appreciate the help.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your school is probably blocking all outgoing smtp server but theirs. Try adding their smtp server to your outgoing server list and try using that when on campus.

Edit: If you want to try changing your port settings, go to Mail->Prefs->Accounts->Outgoing Server Settings.

3. ajchapinjr.com thread starter macrumors member

They actually don't allow you to use your school e-mail with any email applications, you have to go through the website...are they just blocking ALL stmp outgoing?

Sounds like I should give IT a call..

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

See my edit above out changing your port settings

Once you access the settings box, what port is it currently using? If it not already set to port 587, try that.

5. ajchapinjr.com thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't look like 587 (what was already in there) or 26 (what GoDaddy had suggested) is working.

Am I basically stuck?

Would IT unblock a certain port for me to connect through?

I'm not 100% positive how the whole mail server works, but I've had no problem connecting to my FTP servers and uploading...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It has nothing to do with FTP. Your "problem" is common practice for IT. They block external SMTP access on purpose as a "security measure." There is not a snowball's chance that IT will open it up for you. You are not stuck. You can do what most students do. Use a free web-based email service like Yahoo.