Mail Problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DougY, Mar 16, 2012.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Turned on my iMac today, and noticed a problem with Mail.
    There is a little icon (~) in the Inbox. Every time I try to check my email, it keeps asking me for the passwords for all my accounts. No matter what I do, it just keeps asking the same thing over and over again. Any suggestions?

:confused:

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I had the same thing. When you fill in you username and password, be sure to check the "save to keychain" box. Worked for me, unless the problem is in your mail server.:D

3. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Save to Keychain?

Where do I find the "Save to Keychain" option?
    Thanks

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

For me, when the pop up box asking for your name and password come on screen, right in the box is a checkbox saying "check box to Save to Keychain".

Perhaps you are getting a different request box. I'm using the Mac Mail app, with a gmail (Google) address. If you are using a different service, the box may be different. I'm thinking you must be getting a different pop up box, because you can't miss the checkbox for keychain storage,:confused::D

5. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Mail problem?

I found the keychain, however it didn't make any difference.
    Also, I noticed that when I try to get my mail on my iPad and my iPhone as well, they all came up with the same error message saying that it couldn't find my account password.
    Could this be an internet server problem, and not a problem with my computer?

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I think we've reached the end of my astoundingly limited expertise.

Could well be a server problem. When I reach the point where you are, I break down and call Apple Tech Support.

Post if you get some solution...my curiosity is killing me.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...:(

Good luck:D

7. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

Ill do that, but thanks for taking the time to help me.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My pleasure, mate.:D

9. soundexpression macrumors newbie

same problem on iPhone and various macbook pro's

cannot retrieve AOL mail accounts via Mac Mail or Thunderbird.. I have FIOS wireless and have never had this problem... any thoughts>?

10. keepingeyesopen macrumors newbie

I made a similar reply in another thread - reposted here, hoping it will help.

Your problem might be with your ISP mail server, but it could be a problem with Mail (the iMac email client). My wife and I have used our iMacs for about two years, and there have been repeated problems with Mail "losing" the ISP outgoing mail server connections (and sometimes the incoming server connection as well). Many calls to the Apple Care rep ensued. The fix was usually to delete the account completely, then re-enter the email account from scratch, including the outgoing and incoming mail server addresses.

Early on in the experience, we were told by the Apple rep that our "me.com" accounts were "hijacking" the other email accounts. We completely deleted the me.com (MobilMe) accounts, and this cleared up the problem for a while. The problem has occurred occasionally since then, but much less frequently. MobilMe was a complete waste of money, in my opinion. I hope that Apple's new iCloud is better.

There may be one (or several) bug(s) in Mail, so try completely deleting your email account and re-entering it to see if that will help. You will need to re-enter the outgoing and incoming mail server addresses as well as the password, of course.

Randy

11. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I like sparrow.. Good luck!

12. lee27 macrumors member

lee27

I had the same problem.delete your account then re-enter.