Mail problems again...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I had some big problems with Mail.app straight after the 10.4.9 update which required resetting my account.

Now the same thing's happening again, but resetting it (p.list removal, then reconfiguring) isn't working. I've re-entered all my details and they're all correct. Connection Doctor says it can connect to both the internet and my account, but it's just hanging on retrieving the 8th message (see image).

The problem is definitely with Mail. I've also got the details set up on Entourage which I never use (only in situations like this!) and that's working fine, but I can't stand Entourage and haven't got any advance stuff like Rules set up on there.

It's not the 8th message that's causing the problems either as I've deleted that from the server (through Entourage). it just seems that Mail is having a dummy spit.

Any ideas? I've already done permissions and fsck.

Never had this damn problem before 10.4.9 and it always rears its head when I'm at my absolute busiest.

Cheers

Update: now if I run connection doctor while it's stuck on this screen it says it can't log in to the server. But the details are definitely correct.

Also, Mail will not quit on its own, I have to force quit.

Attached Files:

2. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Doh...

Think I may have solved it but it's still bizarre. Yesterday I got an error reply message from someone who's since said they're having problems with that e-mail and domain. I got the error reply message every time I logged in to mail biut couldn't get any others.

Once I'd deleted that error message from the server (using Entourage to delete it) I re-logged on to mail and it's now downloading everything.

Would anyone know why this might be? Would some routing have been affected somewhere or something similar?

Cheers

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just a quick tip....if you right click anywhere in the folders area of Mail, you'll see an option for 'Get Info'. This will display the messages on the server, and allow you to delete them individually.

-Kevin

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That is a quality tip, thanks Kevin.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No problem. I'm a new Mac user and love Mail.app. I stumbled across this while editing some folders. It's been helpful to get rid of mail messages.

-Kevin

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I've never known about it before. Even if you put in "delete server" into mail help it doesn't come up. It's potentially a very useful trick.