Mail problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbfenton, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tbfenton macrumors newbie

Hello, all. I just got my MacBook pro 13 inch less than a week ago, and its running the latest version of OSX. Unfortunately, I am constantly getting a dialogue from Mail that reads "Mail can't connect to the account "Yahoo" (See attachment). I can still receive new messages from that account. I haven't changed my password for that account since before I got my Mac, and I've reentered the correct password several times but I continue to get that dialogue, both when using mail and while it's running in the background. Help please?

Attached Files:

2. DFWHD macrumors regular

This was happening to me as well with one of my yahoo accounts after moving to my MBP from a PC last month and I just got it fixed yesterday. When I setup my 2 email accounts on the MBP, the first account did the auto-recognize thing and set everything up just fine. It would not do that for the second one, so I added it manually as a POP account (because I used POP on my PC). That's when I started having the issues. I looked at how the first account was setup and found it was setup as an IMAP. I had to delete the POP account and re-add it as an IMAP and that fixed everything. Be sure to use the following where applicable (taken from the yahoo support site):

• Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    • Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    • Incoming Port: 993 (requires SSL)
    • Outgoing Port: 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
    • User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
    • Password: the password you use to log in to Yahoo! with.

Hope that helps - it did for me. BTW - Nice background on your desktop. Did you take that picture? I was there back in 2005 for work, however my pics were not that dramatic.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I believe that to receive and send Yahoo! Mail from a 3rd-party vendor (such as Apple's mail app), you need to be a paid-premium Yahoo! mail subscriber.

4. tbfenton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll have to try that out. I can still receive emails from yahoo, so those settings must hold the key.

And no, I did not take that picture (though I wish I could).
    It came from one of my favorite photographers, Trey Ratcliff. He has some really great landscapes for desktops. His website is stuckincustoms.com.