Mail Program Help- POP to IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eli727, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Eli727 macrumors member

I am using Apples "Mail" program for my email - and I am updating my accounts from POP accounts to IMAP accounts.

When doing this - I have to create a new "account" to set it up as IMAP and disable my POP account. The problem is that when doing that it removes my POP emails from that account, such as my sent folder which is a problem.

Is there anyway to do this without losing all my sent emails? Even leaving the POP email there and just "disabling" removes them as well obviously deleting that account.

Hope that made sense...

Any help appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I think this happens to do with the email provider's server. You best bet would be save locally the Sent email onto your Mac before the move.

3. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

has anyone managed to convert a POP to IMAP mail with making sure all the unread/read status's are kept from POP?

4. numlock macrumors 68000

isnt that impossible (or way too much of a hassle)?

the read status on pop refers to the ones saved locally while imap refers to the state on the server.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You need to move it over and here's one way:

Create new Mailboxes (folders) "On My Mac" for the POP mail you're trying to save (call them POPsent, POPinbox etc.) then copy the mail from the POP folders to the new ones. Once that's finished you should be able to safely delete the account.

When you've added the IMAP version of the account you can copy the messages from the "On My Mac" folders you created back to the new IMAP versions of the folders. This should actually upload the mail to the IMAP server.

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Brilliant! thanks Brian. I'm going to do a time machine and give this a test. I'm really hoping this preserves the read/unread status as this is months of mail sorting!

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Make separate folders for "read" and "unread" when you start the transfers.