Mail program question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Choctaw, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I am new to Mac.....just have a question on the Mail program. When I look at an email how can I get it to show that I have already looked at it. The way things are now the mail never changes color/grays out. So all my email headers are still in black bold color and I can't tell which ones have been addressed.

Thanks

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Unread messages have a blue dot next to them. When you've read them, the dot goes away. You can also right click on a message and mark it as read or unread.

3. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Thanks for the info........I am not at my Mac now, but will give it a try. I use a magic mouse, so what is the equivalent of RT mouse clicking?

4. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

If you go to System Preferences then to Mouse you can set the Magic mouse for Secondary Click click on right side.

5. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Indybob..............all this stuff seems simple to the ones who know it. I feel a bit silly by not noticing the Blue dot going away when I read email.

Just learning after PC knowledge from the 1980's being drilled into my head. There are thing that are comparable between systems. I think there will be many more commands from the key pad/mouse on the Mac. Some of which don't ring a bell...like Command + Control + F = return to screen size. I find myself thinking just do it, it is like some laws..........it does not have to make sense, it's just the way it is.
    Choctaw

6. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Choctaw, like you I come from many years of Windows and DOS. When I first decided to get a my iMac a couple of years ago I was so confused that I sold it after 6 months. The first of this year I decided to try it again.

Lots of folks on this forum said I should stop trying to get the iMac to work like Windows and use it as it was designed. After a few months I feel pretty confortable with it.

Still lots of learning but I love the iMac. I still use Windows 7 at work so I am always switching back and forth.

As for the blue dot on unread email it is a small dot and coming from Outlook for Windows where the whole unread message is bold I can see how you could have missed it.

Keep at it and it will end up loving it.

Bob

7. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

IndyBob....I can identify with several things you are saying. My posts from back many years ago show I had an iMac then. Got 2 of them over a year or so. Took both of them back before the 30 day trial ended. I was not happy with hearing that Apple and their preparatory way of doing business required purchasing all the components and software from Apple (The Big Apple) was the only choice.

Now I have converted to a much more rational concept. They make the software, they make the computer. So what if I can't go and buy a sound card, graphics card, mother board etc. I have a complete operational device that has much more capabilities then I will ever realize. The visual looks are breathtaking without all those wires and chords, and icons stuck all over the screen, and best of all for me personally, it does not have the mark of MS on it anywhere.

I do have a network....with 2 other PC's working, but my iMac is fast becoming my best choice and new friend. It's a keeper.

Usually when I latch on to something I appreciate, the company goes away. God forbid that could happen. It all depends on the minds at the top. Many products leave the market place not because they didn't serve us well, but from stupid choices at the higher ends of that corporate ladder, where the leaders reaching the top go to sleep up there and someone came along and knocked them off. Example: Montgomery Wards, TWA. So lets hope that the drive behind Apple and their love connection with Unix lasts.

Just my take and opinions, which in this (so called) free society is something we each have an opportunity to express individually. In a nut shell, I like my Mac.
    Choctaw