Mail Push Notifications?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dacapo, May 23, 2011.

1. dacapo macrumors 6502

Edit: I found this post on the MobileMe forum, but figured it might get a much better chance getting answered here in this forum.

Same thing here!

Side by side, my iPhone gets all the notifications and autodeletes the notifications if I happen to read the mail from my laptop or whatever. But the iPad2... it's either very laggy or something. It doesn't always get the notifications, and even after I've read the emails from elsewhere, the new mail notifications still remain on the iPad2.

Anyone else experience this and figure out how to get around this?

2. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

So, am I in the minority here? Is something wrong with my iPad?

3. WalkingSnake macrumors member

Nope.. I constantly have to open the Mail app before it tells me I have a new email, and never push notifications.

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Not sure what the problem is. My phone will chime, then a couple seconds later my iPad 2 will chime, and then my computer will chime. I'm not using Mobile me though. I'm on Gmail using the exchange server so it pushes.

I can then delete the email on my iPad and it'll disappear within seconds on my phone. I assume you've made sure your IMAP or POP setting are correct? Like I said, I'm sure not what your issue is, but it's not the way it should be. :eek:

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

All my iPhones and my first iPad had this problem. I just never considered it a big deal. My iPad 2 is the first device that has actually performed well in this area.

I just got use to opening up to check my mail.

6. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

There's something funky going on because I have the same issue with my iPad2. It doesn't push mobileme Mail. I have to actually open the Mail app for it to receive any email where as my iPhone will notify automatically.

7. WalkingSnake macrumors member

Could it have to do with the type of email account we're using? I'm using my gmail.

8. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Not to rub salt in the wounds or anything, just for your Info.

I am running with a Microsoft Exchange Account and GMail EMail Account on my iPad 2 and I do receive the mail notifications without any problems. I also did not have any problems on my iPad 1.

9. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

It's at least a bit reassuring that I'm not the only one.

Hmmm.. I wonder what it could be.

It might be a "feature" of the more recent iOS versions?
    My iPhone on iOS 4.0.1 has no problems and gets every single notification.
    My iPod Touch on iOS 4.2.1 has this weird lag needing to open mail app.
    My iPad2 on iOS 4.3.3 has this weird lag as well.

(My other hypothesis was that it might be the fact that I have the push service to point to 2 different devices, but after realizing that my iPod Touch has the same issue, I crossed that out.)

10. WalkingSnake macrumors member

My iPad 2 is the only device I have with push. Weird... why are only some of us having a problem? There has to be a pattern or reason...

11. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember seeing something about WiFi and 3G models being different regarding email (or all?) push.

WiFi checks every 15 minutes, 3G models get real push email?

My 3G model usually "dings" about a second before my iPhone (when both are asleep). My iPad uses WiFi (I don't have 3G service activated on it, but I have the 3G radio on), and the iPhone uses whatever it wants/is designed to do.

12. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I've not experienced this issue with my iPad 1. As noted earlier, I hear a chime on my iPhone, my iPad and my laptop all within a few seconds of each other. This happens with both Mobile Me accounts and with GMail.

So it's not a universal issue, or an iPad 1 specific issue. It has to be some sort of configuration thing, but from your description it doesn't sound as if that's the case.

13. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

You might be onto something.

I do have an iPad2 3G, but haven't activated the 3G service on it, so it's been on WIFI the whole time. So that may explain it.

14. andyadler macrumors member

Why not simply use an app like Push Mail? It works superbly both on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 using a regular (non-Exchange) Gmail account.

Best...A.

15. Scuby macrumors regular

I have a similar problem on my iPad (original wifi version) with my Mobile Me email. Tried toggling push email on and off, even did a full restore yesterday and that didn't help either. My iPod Touch (on the same version of iOS, same wifi network, same account settings, etc) works fine. The iPad definitely used to work, but it's been dodgy for months at least - just keep forgetting to do anything about it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned about the notification on the mail icon being cleared when the email was read on a different device - well i've never had that on any iOS device, the notifications have never cleared unless i open the mail app on that particular device. Again, this is with Mobile Me email set to push.

David

16. texcor macrumors member

I don't have MobileMe but the error seems to be on Apples backend.
    I'd also check imap settings and see if theres something not setup right.
    Googles Gmail exchange server works like a charm.

Pushmail is a great solution but people don't pay 99 bucks for a service that doesnt do its job. It's supposed to do push which it doesnt do right now.