Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
Hi all , hopefully someone can help me. I can't seem to figure out why my email is using so much storage. At the moment it says I am using 1.2gb. I have a gmail account and a exchange account. On both, I have all mail deleted and gone, but yet still showing 1.2 gb. I've deleted both accounts , still says the same. I send a lot of pics and pdf files for work, is it possible they are being stored somewhere in mail that it's saying I am using all that storage ? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    233 KB · Views: 146

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all , hopefully someone can help me. I can't seem to figure out why my email is using so much storage. At the moment it says I am using 1.2gb. I have a gmail account and a exchange account. On both, I have all mail deleted and gone, but yet still showing 1.2 gb. I've deleted both accounts , still says the same. I send a lot of pics and pdf files for work, is it possible they are being stored somewhere in mail that it's saying I am using all that storage ? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.
Have you cleaned out your Sent folder? ;)

Reactions: Thor_1

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
Have you cleaned out your Sent folder? ;)
All folders are empty, it's strange , this is my 6s plus, on my 6s obviously with same accounts I'm only using 611.4 mb. Don't get it. On top of that my 6s actually has mail in the folders.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
All folders are empty, it's strange , this is my 6s plus, on my 6s obviously with same accounts I'm only using 611.4 mb. Don't get it. On top of that my 6s actually has mail in the folders.
New one on me. That's weird it's different like that. Unless your Gmail account is POP?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
POP? When I set up on phone I just went to add account , gmail, not familiar with POP
There are generally two flavors of email for the average person. IMAP and POP.

IMAP lets you sync your email on all devices that you use that email address on. Delete an email from one device, send from another and ALL devices will reflect those changes. Because the email is actually stored on your account provider's servers.

POP email can be used on multiple devices, but each device is an island to itself and operates on a first come first serve basis. If you download email on a POP account to a Mac say, your iPhone will never see it because it's already been downloaded to your Mac and removed from the email provider's server. Same with Sent items, etc. Email is stored on the device it downloads to or originates from.

Exchange is a little different because it's your work's servers doing the storing of your email.

Since you added your Gmail account that way it could be POP. I don't know. For myself, I generally ignore all that stuff and just directly enter my settings (it's all in my head). I use IMAP with all my accounts.

If it is POP, it's possible it's storing something somewhere on one device and not on the other.

Reactions: xoAnna

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
There are generally two flavors of email for the average person. IMAP and POP.

IMAP lets you sync your email on all devices that you use that email address on. Delete an email from one device, send from another and ALL devices will reflect those changes. Because the email is actually stored on your account provider's servers.

POP email can be used on multiple devices, but each device is an island to itself and operates on a first come first serve basis. If you download email on a POP account to a Mac say, your iPhone will never see it because it's already been downloaded to your Mac and removed from the email provider's server. Same with Sent items, etc. Email is stored on the device it downloads to or originates from.

Exchange is a little different because it's your work's servers doing the storing of your email.

Since you added your Gmail account that way it could be POP. I don't know. For myself, I generally ignore all that stuff and just directly enter my settings (it's all in my head). I use IMAP with all my accounts.

If it is POP, it's possible it's storing something somewhere on one device and not on the other.
Thanks for explanation. Both seem to show same mails in both accounts. Just using a third of storage on my 6s. This happened once before. I did a backup , restore, delete. All that stuff. My mail was up to 6.3gb at that time with nothing in folders. Since that time , mail storage has been slowly creeping up like last time. Genius couldn't help. Hence the reason I'm here , there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. So I'm hopeful someone could shed some light.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for explanation. Both seem to show same mails in both accounts. Just using a third of storage on my 6s. This happened once before. I did a backup , restore, delete. All that stuff. My mail was up to 6.3gb at that time with nothing in folders. Since that time , mail storage has been slowly creeping up like last time. Genius couldn't help. Hence the reason I'm here , there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. So I'm hopeful someone could shed some light.
What do you see in folders if you access your gmail account using a web browser?

There was a user here a while back that couldn't figure out where the hell one particular email was going in his Yahoo account. He'd see it then it would disappear and then reappear.

Turns out it was designated as spam by Yahoo's servers but he was only able to see it as that when he accessed his Yahoo acount via web browser.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
What do you see in folders if you access your gmail account using a web browser?

There was a user here a while back that couldn't figure out where the hell one particular email was going in his Yahoo account. He'd see it then it would disappear and then reappear.

Turns out it was designated as spam by Yahoo's servers but he was only able to see it as that when he accessed his Yahoo acount via web browser.
My computer is down at moment. I have never accessed either account from anything else but iPhone , iPad , or android device.

GreekFeeling

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Aachen, Germany

Thanks.

This issue has been around a few years now! You will not find a solution for this bug! Had the same problem a few time with my mail account! Also removing the mail accounts completely doesn't help! Only way is restoring your device! For Gmail I use only the Gmail / inbox app know!

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I ha
This issue has been around a few years now! You will not find a solution for this bug! Had the same problem a few time with my mail account! Also removing the mail accounts completely doesn't help! Only way is restoring your device! For Gmail I use only the Gmail / inbox app know!
. I have restored. And now it's adding back up again. Both phones are set up exactly the same, I just get the high storage on my 6s plus, my 6s is normal. So what am I supposed to do, restore my phone every few months ? That's really crappy.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've never had this issue and I've had my Gmail account since at least 2009.

Perhaps it's because I always use IMAP. But here's my mail storage for about 12-15 accounts in the stock Mail app.

2016-10-17 16.28.29.png

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I've never had this issue and I've had my Gmail account since at least 2009.

Perhaps it's because I always use IMAP. But here's my mail storage for about 12-15 accounts in the stock Mail app.

View attachment 666230
That's crazy. None of my fellow workers mail is like mine either. I think it's my exchanger hay particular mail account. Don't know what it is though. I can send like 50 pictures in a email, than my mail storage goes up. I delete that particular mail , and storage won't go down. I always send large files, that's why I'm assuming it's something w exchange. But like I said , at this time I have a total of 6 emails in my two accounts and it's showing the 1.2 gb. Maddening , lol

Reactions: eyoungren

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
That's crazy. None of my fellow workers mail is like mine either. I think it's my exchanger hay particular mail account. Don't know what it is though. I can send like 50 pictures in a email, than my mail storage goes up. I delete that particular mail , and storage won't go down. I always send large files, that's why I'm assuming it's something w exchange. But like I said , at this time I have a total of 6 emails in my two accounts and it's showing the 1.2 gb. Maddening , lol
Anyone???

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Sorry... I use gmail, iCloud, multiple accounts and I don't have anywhere near the GB you have even though I have over 10k in emails spread across the accounts (that's unread)

When I do click on that, it says mail and attachment...

Attachments

• IMG_1069.PNG
    IMG_1069.PNG
    665.7 KB · Views: 53

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
Sorry... I use gmail, iCloud, multiple accounts and I don't have anywhere near the GB you have even though I have over 10k in emails spread across the accounts (that's unread)

When I do click on that, it says mail and attachment...
Makes me crazy. Even when I delete mails number doesn't change much. Even when I delete account , storage says it's still there at 1.2-1.4 gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.