Mail Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ribbonthecat, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I have two email accounts, my University one, and a gmail. For some reason I can't connect to my school's outgoing mail server through my DSL connection, but I can through Gmail. Is there a way to set a reply-to address in Mail? I'd prefer my professors to respond to reply to my University account.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Yep, when you click write mail. Under the Subject you can select the account. Sorry, i don't know the answer to the first question.
    :)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Are you saying that, from your home DSL connection, you can connect to Gmail's outgoing server but not your school's? If so, here is a guess at what's happening:

Many ISPs block connections to outgoing mail servers on port 25, as they are commonly used by spammers. The effect of this is that they try to force you to use their own outgoing servers for all mail. But some e-mail providers use an alternate port that will allow you to get through to them...port 587 is a common one. I believe that Gmail uses port 465, so you are able to connect to them.

However, your school probably uses port 25 as the default, and access to it is being blocked by your DSL ISP. There are a couple of ways to tackle this problem: 1) See if your school offers connections through an alternate port, like 587; 2) Contact your ISP and ask them to open port 25 for you; 3) Use your DSL ISP's outgoing settings and just send the e-mail through them.

You can set your Reply-To address to be whatever you want, so it doesn't really matter where you send it from. In Mail's preferences for your school account, you would just change the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) settings. All other info would be for your school account, and that's how it would appear to anyone receiving mail from you, unless they examined the headers to trace how the message was routed.

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Somewhat off topic...

But I'm a previous Windows user, and have a question about iMail. I used to store things in folders [bills, etc.]. How do I do that in iMail? Create a new mailbox??? I hate having one large inbox....

Thanks!

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, create new mailboxes and either drag the message in there manually or set up rules to have mail automatically diverted to the appropriate mailbox. You can also set up Smart Mailboxes, which are similar to using Rules and regular Mailboxes.

If you want, you can create a hierarchy of mailboxes as well...create a Mailbox called "Bills" or something and then create other ones called "Phone," "Cable," "Electric," etc. There's a good amount of flexibility there, and its pretty intuitive, so play around with them and come up with something that suits your needs.

6. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Great!!! Thanks for the quick response!!!!