Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone else have an issue where 30% of the time (roughly) Mail doesn’t delete messages that you’ve swiped to delete? I’ll wake up in the morning, see that I have say 10 emails, go through and delete 8 of them, and when I go back to the home screen Mail says “10” still. When I reopen it, those 10 messages are there again, marked unread. I delete them all a second time and this time they finally go.

This happens at least a couple times a day for me. Anyone else?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Does anyone else have an issue where 30% of the time (roughly) Mail doesn’t delete messages that you’ve swiped to delete? I’ll wake up in the morning, see that I have say 10 emails, go through and delete 8 of them, and when I go back to the home screen Mail says “10” still. When I reopen it, those 10 messages are there again, marked unread. I delete them all a second time and this time they finally go.

This happens at least a couple times a day for me. Anyone else?
Are you force quitting the app right after you delete the message? If so you are not giving it enough time to sync and actually delete the message. I do this occasionally.

cale508

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
IL
That has been a problem for me for a few years now with the Apple’s native mail app. I can read the email and then I close the app with home button (don’t force close) and it still says I haven’t read the message when I already have. I submitted this to Apple long time ago, but I know it won’t get anywhere. I just move on along with it.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Are you force quitting the app right after you delete the message? If so you are not giving it enough time to sync and actually delete the message. I do this occasionally.
Not force quitting, just going to the home screen or another app.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
And what email service are you using? For example, I have had no issues with Gmail, but see relatives having issues with their Cox service (one of THE worst ISPs I've seen).

I have an old Yahoo account that will occasionally not delete an email.

If Gmail, is it setup for send emails to Archive when deleting or Trash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.